1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

return springs breaking

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by MSS Mow, Dec 25, 2009.

1. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Hello all. I've broken two return springs already, and have talked to several others locally who have broken quite a few as well. Are others having this problem on their Boss V's? Has anyone found a solution for fixing this problem? Thanks

2. Deco

Deco Senior Member

too tight .............BnB says you should be able to wiggle them when snug

3. Deckscapes

Deckscapes Senior Member

Boss has introduced newer tapered springs for the wing return on all new v-blades. Your blade can be easily modified to accept these new springs and will solve your problem of breaking springs (provided you are overtightening them) :)
    BOSS Part # MSC07705 and can be found online @ www.cuttingedgesnow.com for $28.45 plus shipping under their Common Replacement Parts Section.

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Broken a few myself and even ripped the bolt hole open. Make sure they are not to tight and put washers on both sides next time.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The longer springs now reduce the possibility of the installer over tightening them. Which is the main factor in shortening their life span. If you breaking springs often then they're too tight.

The springs require very very little pre-tension to retract the wings if the center hinge is lubricated as intended. In fact a screen door spring from the local hardware store will retract them if the hinge is greased properly.

6. grandview

Would a string tied to the end of the wing and pulled from the inside of the truck work just as well?

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Your daughter strong enough to pull the right wing in for you? If so, then yep.

A snow bank is easier though. :D

8. Deckscapes

Deckscapes Senior Member

Thats freakin funny Grandview. Maybe we should design a pulley mounted to the center tower where 2 string could go thru one tube and into the cab...

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Make sure they both go to the pass side window. He'd still make his co-pilot pull them both. :D

10. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I've Busted 2 springs in1 year it ain't from being to tight. both of my springs broke in the same place. when I got replacements I showed the broken one to the boss dealer, he said they all brake there. When I should them to a friend that is a metallurgist he said it was in-proper manufacturing that weekend the spring.

so I keep 2 on hand.

11. grandview

How do I go about patenting this?

12. Deckscapes

Deckscapes Senior Member

Or maybe he will mount another pulley on top of his passenger side mirror

13. Deckscapes

Deckscapes Senior Member

You guys are funny! Great entertainment for a Christmas Evening

14. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

I prefer the dual acting cylinders on my Western MVP's... :D :popcorn:

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Are you using the procedure as recommended by Boss?

16. Deckscapes

Deckscapes Senior Member

He's probably fabricating mounts as we speak to install Western Cylinders:laughing:

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Nice thing about spring return is you only run the pump half as much to move the wings. Easier on the pump, motor, battery and alternator. 3 less valves, 3 less coils, 2 less hoses and related wiring to work with too.

Simplicity is redundant. Can I borrow some of that popcorn? :D

18. grandview

I keep what ever springs the part store sells ,Meyer springs work just as good and break just the same.

boss spring broken.jpg

Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
  19. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

Use a business card to gap between the springs. A good trick that Sr. B&B had told me. :drinkup:

Ditto. Mike I hope the bowl is big enough for me. :nod:

I agree GV. Also buying extra, longer eye bolts will make things easier.
    It looks like you didnt use enough FF, I hope you have a welder.

20. grandview

I plowed the last 2 months with the spring like that.