1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Retrofitting uni-mount to 2004 f-150, 2003 a fit?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Mattsautobody, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Mattsautobody

Mattsautobody Member

Hey guys, this is my first post on here.... I've always had western plows, my uncle has a turd meyer plow that's always broke, thus reaffirming my brand loyalty. ANYWAYS... I have an '04 F-150, my buddy already sold me a uni-mount with nine pin set up from his 83 f150. I know that they quit making them before my model truck (04-08) I've reviewed the installation manuals for all the fords 1980 and up, I noticed that the 97-03 f-150 mount looks like it will work, the frame ends look almost identical... has anyone done this before? would the wiring also be the same?? I'd like to know if it's gonna be work the $600 bucks for a new mount fitting the 97-03 or the ultra mount kit with the uni-mount adapter or should i just fab it from scratch with the 80's bracket I have?? Thanks guys!

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

In my opinion, I don't think it would be worth it..The 83 f150 were wired different, and they use a 2 relay system.. 04 use a 3port mod system, and it has DRL, were the 83 does not have DRL.. You would have to buy the mount kit for the 04, and uni-mount to ultramount kit for the plow.

Therefore, you would have to buy the mount kit, the correct light harness for the plow, conversion kit for the plow, 3 port mod for the truck.

approve.jpg

mount.jpg

3port11pin.jpg

conv.jpg

Don't get me wrong..If you know a good welder they can modified the truck mount. For the harness (truck and plow), you might have to buy it..

Someone on here will probably have a better idea...

approve.jpg

mount.jpg

3port11pin.jpg

conv.jpg

3. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

Is your '04 F150 the "New body style" or the Heratige (97-03) style?

If it is the new body style I believe you will have to do what Twinman326 has posted with the ultra mount , adapter and ISO wiring.

If it is the earlier heratige body style you could try to find a unimount frame for the 97-03 body style P/N 1225 IIRC and relay style wiring for it, Kit # 63420.

TOM

4. Mattsautobody

Mattsautobody Member

well i have the new body style and i think im just gonna get the mounts. my truck doesn't have DRL but i do a lot of wiring, so im not sure about buying a new one

5. twinman326

I know it is your truck and you know it better then anyone else. Are you sure you don't have DRL (daytime running lights)?U might and there just not activated. On my 2000 GMC, I can shut them on and off... Just making sure.........

I ask because, vehicle with DRL have a different harness compare to the with out DRL. U can use a harness (for your veh type) that does not have DRL. I believe you would have to re-pin (Nast Z and I just went through that )

I just check a web site. It seem you truck does have DRL, but the option was to have enable or disable. Your might be disable.

Here is the web site link
    http://www.fordf150.net/howto/drl.php

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  6. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

You can run the relay wiring for that truck. You need the proper headlight connector thats all!

7. Mattsautobody

Mattsautobody Member

thats what I figured... I thought the drl harness just disabled the drl function for the plow. Im gonna add an extra relay circuit so i can switch between plow, truck, both or auto lights

8. twinman326

Make sure you check the web page (link in thread #5)..It will show you were the wire is for the DRL inside your truck..

This might help you with the wiring

Without DRL

nodrl.jpg

With DRL

ydrl.jpg

This is the PDF were I got the information
    http://www.westernplows.com/pdf/13766_100501.pdf

nodrl.jpg

ydrl.jpg