1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Retreads or New Tires?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Snow Picasso, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Snow Picasso

Snow Picasso Senior Member

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a little help here. I'm getting ready to purchase some new tires for my Bobcat. I'm leaning towards buying new Titans HE, but they are pretty pricey! What do you guys think about the non direction retreads! Does anyone know or heard anything about the retread called MONGO?

Thanks

2. kcress31

kcress31 Senior Member

Not familiar with retreads for skids but as far as our trucks go we only put retreads on our older trucks and always put new tires on our newer trucks. Once the tire we bought new are worn out in 3 - 6 months we get some or most of them recapped to put on the older trucks. The one thing I don't like about the recapps is that if it is not your own tire getting recapped you don't know how old the original tire is.

3. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Anything staying local is recapped, out of town , new. Ya thats what I dont like about recaps you gotta make sure its yours your getting back

4. SNO-PRO

SNO-PRO Member

I have mongos on a new holland 180 and I think they are good tires and for a nice price. I think they wear well also. Many people have told me they are no good in mud but I stay away from mud. I have plowed with them and think they work no better or worse than directionals just my .02

5. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I have run a few sets of recaps. I wouldn't use anything else anymore.

Here is a pic of what I have on now.

Do you have a link for these MONGO tires I would like to check them out.

[​IMG]

6. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Crete, how would you rate those tires in snow compared to directional/ag tires? I would assume they're a big improvement looking at the tread, but would like to hear first-hand.

We had a very similar pattern re-tread on an older skid, but they were completly bald when we got the machine, & just as bald 700+ hours later when we traded the machine in. Great life on hard surfaces, but terrible in mud, snow & ice. If those tires had good traction when new, I would consider them.:salute:

7. SNO-PRO

SNO-PRO Member

8. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I think they work alot better in the snow. They are a little taller so you gain a little speed and they wear like iron. I had something else in mind when I ordered them and got these by mistake.

Just a heads up, the tires you typically see on a skidloader are not ag (R1) tires but are industrial (R4).

9. Snow Picasso

Snow Picasso Senior Member

Thanks Sno-Pro