1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Retractable VBox Cover!!!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by NickyBombs, Feb 11, 2006.

1. NickyBombs

NickyBombs Member

Is there anyone out there that has made or purchased a retractable VBOX cover. Its a pain in the a$$ covering and uncovering with tarp and tiedowns. Ii have seen many retractable bed covers wonder if anyone has modified one to fit a vbox:rolleyes:

2. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

I don't understand why some people want to tarp their Vboxes. You load it, go out and unload and be done with it. You get paid to unload it, not haul it.

3. chris k

chris k Senior Member

If you are not going to salt till the end of the storm why drive around with a load for 12 hrs?? I cover mine so that when I do go get a load I don't have a spreader full of snow.

4. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

i have never seen any retractable tarps but if you are good with a welder and things electrical you could make one. look at some tarps on semi dump trailers, the ones that slide on a track on the side of the trailer, not the mouse trap style.

5. NickyBombs

NickyBombs Member

Hmm...

I only asked if anyone had made one or seen one. And yes I do want at least a ton of salt in the back for the added traction. It's called ballast!!! :gunsfiring: Don't hate if you have nothing good to say.

6. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

Our F550 dump has a swing arm style tarp that rolls up to the cab protector. It keeps the salt dry durring the storm so there is never a chance of jamming

7. NEPSJay

NEPSJay Senior Member

You tarp it to keep it dry so it wont freeze:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

8. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

Yah, but what I'm sayin is don't cruise around with a full jag of salt. The salt in my spreader never freezes, even when I have to plow first and then salt the property. When I have to plow and salt all my properties, my route could take over eight hours and still no freezing. Now, when the temps are very low, in the mid teens and lower, yah, I have a problem with the salt freezing, but only the top layer. If you keep unloading it, it will not freeze. If you want to spend your hard made money on something that doesn't make you money, be my guest.

9. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

What do you do if it snows on Sunday?Most all places are closed ,So if you load up on Sat there is a chance it may freeze[covered or uncovered]I went to a local upholstery shop and he made me a fitted cover,tripled stitched in the corners,only needs a couple of b-cords to hold it on looks clean and professional $125 bucks

10. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

Yah, that is problem for those of you who rely on a supply yard with specific hours and not open on Weekends, Holidays, etc. I have my own supply and loader and only load salt when I need it. If I have some leftover, I back in to the bin and unload with the spreader.

11. NEPSJay

NEPSJay Senior Member

Be realistic...I spent $60.00 bucks on a Custom made vinal tarp. I'd much rather be out the $$$ and have the piece of mind that my stuffs dry then be in the hopper with a jackhammer in the middle of the night.

12. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

Alright, I hear ya! I was just in a bad mood that day cuz the storm missed us.

13. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

I usually put a half load in mine. that way if i am going up some bad hills i can sand on my way up and not come sliding down out of control. its very helpful if you get stuck to drop some sand behind you and go