1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Retractable Tonneau Cover

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by buffalo mike, Jan 17, 2006.

1. buffalo mike

buffalo mike Junior Member

I am looking at a retractable tonneau cover for my 2002 Silverado 2500HD Crew short box.

I have (through the web) looked at Pace Edwards Jack Rabbit, BAK RollBack, and Retrax.

The Retrax looks like it may meet my needs better than the others (easy to use for my wife and won't freeze in the winter). Does any one have any experience with any of these?

Thanks!

2. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Retrax is supposed to be the best. I have heard only good things about them. Top-notch company.

3. Up North

Up North Senior Member

I have the Access Limited Tonneau cover, love it. Rolls up and out of the way when I need an open box and takes 30 seconds to roll the cover back down and secure the sides. The other thing I like about it is it takes up very little space in my box and is easy to secure even with my bed rails.

I'm not familiar with any of the others except for the Pace Edwards, my mom's husband (Wayne) had one and finally threw it out. It continually would get moisture in it and freeze up, he had it back to the dealer a number of times but they could never get it to work right. That was his experience, now someone else on here had one and liked it, so maybe Wayne had a bad one, I don't know.

Buck

4. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Check out this thread for some quick thoughts on those with the Retrax and a few others.

5. buffalo mike

Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the help. Antnee77 - thanks for the link to the other thread. It looks like Retrax is the way to go.

I emailed Retrax with some questions I have and I will post the questions and answers when I get them.

6. dj&sonplowing

dj&sonplowing Member

up north buck, yeah i have one of the acess roll ups on my tundra,, i really like it, like you say its so easy , and fast,,every thing in out of the weather i have the gasket kit also around inside tail gate, keeps the dust out. im must be just south of you? im north of brainerd ( 30 mi) :cool:

7. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Yep, I'm just up the road in Bemidji, where exactly are you? Nisswa? Does that gasket kit work good? I've thought about adding that as I can get some fine dust in the box, nothing major but since my cover is on 99% of the time it all settles on the floor. Just wash it out a couple times a year. Any snow down there? Sucks up here, hope Feb. brings a little something.

Buck

8. dj&sonplowing

dj&sonplowing Member

up north buck, yeah actually im out by cross lake,, yeah suks here too, i havent plowed yet this year,, really suks,, started out fair,, think ive plowed all mine three times total? oh well, yeah they threw that gasket deal in on my tounna cover, i sure like the whole set up so easy if you have to haul something big, my knees are turning red from prayin for snow ha:cool:

9. Up North

Up North Senior Member

I hear ya, been out on my full route three times as well. I think my buddy's cabin is on Cross Lake, I'll have to ask him when he comes up next weekend to do some fishing & sledding. Well, lets hope for some fresh snow, keep praying!

Buck

10. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Thought I'd chime in here with my experience of a tonneau cover. I have a Pace Edwards Jack Rabbit. It has been ok. My main problems with the thing is that I had a not traditional bed dimension and I had to custom fit the thing. It doesn't fit perfect, but works fine. My main problems with the cover is when we get icey conditions. I don't care what brand you have, they will all do the same thing. The little rubber seal that rides above the cover and keeps water out will get wet and freeze to the acutal cover which will freeze the cover in place. You can bang on the thing for awhile to break everything free, but it is time consuming. I've had better luck covering the cover with a tarp when I'm expecting bad weather, and that works, but it is a pain in the ass. Just be prepared for these problems. Also if you have crusty frozen snow stuck to the cover, it won't like opening and rolling up in the canister. Keep the thing as clean and debris free as possible, and oil/lube the rubber seal weekly with some serious lube. Something that holds up well. It will make a world of difference.

11. buffalo mike

Thanks for the information. I ordered the Retrax today - I'll have it in about a week. The freezing shut seems to common to the Pace Edwards covers (at least from what I had found in other posts and from talking with others I met who had them). Some others who have the Retrax claim freezing isn't a problem - but I don't know how you can prevent ice from forming under all circumstances. Perhaps it just doesn't get into the Retrax's tracks. Anyway, I hope the Retrax won't freeze. My wife will be using the truck if the weather gets bad rather than her car, and if the cover freezes up and she goes grocery shopping both the cover and me will probably get banged on the head!