1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Retailer Seeks Product Advice

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by LMM, Aug 23, 2004.

1. LMM

LMM Junior Member

My company operates a chain of convenience stores in Western Pennsylvania. Last year we got caught without enough ice melt and spent a lot of time running to Lowe's / Wal-Mart / Mom & Pop hardware stores / etc looking for product. This year I was put in charge of finding/buying pallets of product to use/sell at our stores. ok, ok enough background...

What do I get? Rock salt, calcium chloride, potassium chloride, magnessium chloride, Peladow? And what are the differences? All these choices are making my head spin....HELP ME PLEASE!:confused:

Most of our lots are asphalt (except one which is ALL cement) with cement pads around the pumps. So I want to reduce the likelyhood of damage from an inferior product.

As far as plowing contractors go, we don't (or haven't been able to find) people who do this full time. We use local guys who do it as a side business and don't have salting equipment.
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Well, that last part should get you some response from contractors in your area. As far as what to use as a deicer/anti-icer, I recommend Magic Salt which is a treated salt which won't damage your asphalt or concrete. If you don't get any response from someone in your area, email me and I should be able to put you in touch with someone. Also be able to steer you to a source for the Magic Salt. If you're interested in looking into it more on your own, do an internet search for "Magic Salt".
  3. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

I plow all the Casey's General Stores here and they tell me to use salt even though it is all concrete. They don't want to spend the extra money on cal-chloride. SInce you are a convenience store you should be able to buy product in bulk and save a ton of money. Just buy one or two pallets of mag-chloride or calcium chloride and keep them at the store with the concrete. Send good ole rock salt to the rest of the locations.

How many stores do you have?
  4. LMM

LMM Junior Member

We have 7 stores and the plan is to get a pallet or two at each location to both sell to the public and for our own use. I'm trying to find a distributor (we'd like 50# bags) so does any one have a recommendation?
  5. 2wheelrider

2wheelrider Junior Member
    from NJ

I may be able to supply your needs. Email me with your contact information and all store locations and I will give you a quote..... yippeyappe@yahoo.com

KUJAWA RSK Member
    from PA

HI LMM
    I get my salt from DIAMOND CRYSTAL you can get it by the ton or
    buy the bag the # is 877-650-7087 ext2