1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Restoring My Fisher Minute Mount 1 8' Plow

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by plowguy43, Oct 27, 2010.

1. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Well Gent's, After purchasing my Ram last spring I set out looking for a new plow for the truck since I couldn't just swap a larger blade onto my old 7 1/2' SEHP Setup I used with my Dakota. I sold that off and found an 8' MM1 Insta Act Setup for sale nearby that I picked up for a great price. It included all truck side wiring and fish stik controller. After selling everything off I'm into this plow for little to nothing.

So I reached out to a body shop owner I deal with daily as he refurbished an old speedcast plow to sell off about a year ago. He has sandblasting equipment and obviously a fully equiped body shop. So I swung by this past Saturday and met up with him to start the process. Sorry for the lack of pictures but I will get more up once we make more progress- we both had to run mid day to other things.

The plans- Sandblast and repaint the mold board, a Frame, head gear. They will all be blasted, DA'd, primed, painted, and baked. I'm replacing all hydraulic lines, angle and lift cylinders, Pin's, and Chain. The Angle cylinders are leaking a little and the right angle hose has a pin hole leak that I found while driving to the shop (sprayed onto my hood when I angled the plow at speed). Better to find this out now then while plowing.

All in all the plow is very straight, very solid, and has an almost new cutting edge. I'll update the pictures after this weekend when I head back up to finish prepwork and paint.

plow resto.JPG

plow resto 1.JPG

2. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Can I suggest a new set of Intensifires while your at it? They make a big difference vs. the old lights and are worth every penny. Look forward to the pics...

3. plowguy43

Yeah I've been thinking about getting a set, trying to find the cheapest place to get them. Also thinking of going with a new style Triangle too (ala Repoman207).

My first purchase is some Pro Wings this Friday which will be added on later in the weekend.

4. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

All I gotta say is, hurry up! It's almost season!

5. plowguy43

Lol I know right!I was going to just run as is or rattlecan it but I picked up another account that can turn out to be pretty big so I wanted to make my stuff look the part. Plus I have very little $$ into it so I figured why not.

6. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

Looking clean and proffessional is never a waste of money. It will always pay for itself one way or another, not to mention you can be proud of your equipment. Nice buy!

7. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

When you said you were restoring it, I had this grand illusion you were almost done.....nothing like the last minute huh. I did the same thing when I did mine. I think I dropped it off in the middle of November to be blasted and powder coated. Never missed a storm though.

If you need a hand or advice, don't hesitate to give me a call. I'll look around for those lights for you.

8. plowguy43

Yeah this one I found mid summer, I had another one that was I much worse shape that I sold locally for a $50 profit. Nothing much but it was something. I wasn't planning on this but I want it to look nice and if I decide to upgrade at the end of the season hopefully it'll bring in more $$$

I picked up some chain today for it with new ubolts. I also ordered some buyers pro wings since I got a parking lot back that took me an hour or so with my old 7.5' fisher/dakota combo. I'm thinking the 8' with wings will cut down on that time (maybe half?).

All in all I'm getting really excited for this season.

9. plowguy43

Well I went up yesterday and made some progress but not a ton. The sandblasting tank broke a hose to it was mostly scraping by hand and using a DA. I'm heading up again mid week to get more blasting done then paint. I have all the paint ready, just itching to get it done! At least this gives me time to get the prowings in and we'll install them in a warm garage with plenty of tools. Plus I have some new cylinders and hoses on order.

I have more pictures but can't upload from the phone- you'll have to wait till monday!

10. plowguy43

Here are some more progress pictures. You can tell where we left off with the sand blasting... My new hoses should be arriving this week, and then the new angle cylinders should be here shortly after. I may wait on the lift cylinder at this point but who knows....

headgear1.JPG

triangle.JPG

headgear2.JPG

bladeback1.JPG

bladeback2.JPG

11. plowguy43

Sorry for the blurry pictures, these were all from my blackberry.

bladeback3.JPG

bladeback4.JPG

12. RepoMan207

from Maine

be careful there....if you keep disturbing all that....patinia, it will never go back together. lmao.

J/K, it looks like your off to the right start. remove the pump and cylinders as one (don't bother with removing the lines just yet), then finish breaking down the rest of the headgear. Don't be surprised if you take the headlights off in peices...those look alot worse then my old ones, and they were a b*tch to get off.

A few must do's in my book:
    Trip Springs
    Torsion Spring Kit
    Connecting Pin Kit
    Lift Arm
    Fully break down the headgear and clean up the metal cancer lurking between two sections.
    Pins and Bolts as you see fit.
    Full break down and cleaning of the hydraulics system.

13. plowguy43

You ain't kidding, there are sooo many nooks and crevis's in these damn plows. I spent about 3 hours scraping away at the back of the plow and the head gear last weekend, and that was before we got back to sandblasting. I'm away this weekend but will be back next weekend to get the rest of it done. Thankfully he has a blasting cabinet (what he did the lift triangle in) that we'll be doing the springs and smaller parts of the head gear.

Amazingly, a lot of the paint is really stuck on this thing and not coming off with the sandblasting which is something to say for Fisher!

14. plowguy43

Just a quick update. Last weekend I had to go to Maryland for a wedding so I didn't get to do anything on the plow, this week is hunting season so the shop owner won't be around. I got a call on Monday from the shop foreman asking if he could finish up the plow for me. I obviously said yes- an experienced body man finishing my plow versus myself, I'll go with the body man. Should be done by the end of the week, then I'll bring it home and put the new hoses, pins, and cylinders on it.

I'll snap more pictures when I pick it up. Then it better snow like crazy!

15. plowguy43

I just got back from seeing the plow come out of the paint booth. It came out awesome, better than I was expecting. I snapped some pictures and will post up tomorrow. I almost feel bad for the first storm...that'll go away quick LOL.

16. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Aww c'mon! The suspense is killing me (us)...:realmad:

17. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Looks like it's coming along good. I'm looking forward to seing it when it's done.

18. RepoMan207

from Maine

worthless.gif ......................................

worthless.gif

19. Good stuff Ryan....

20. mtnzone

mtnzone Member

Ryan Looking forward to seeing the finished work, we just completed five tear down and repaints with one more to go.

Just a question you said you ordered your hoses?? Dont you have a garage around you or a napas that can just fabricate you some hoses so you dont have to wait??