1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Restoration of 1984 silverado

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by rylee, Dec 29, 2001.

1. rylee

rylee Junior Member

I'm going to restore a 1984 silverado but first I need to know how to do it. The truck looks like it needs a new box, engine work, upholstery and some small touch-ups,passenger window not rolling down too. This is a 3/4 ton, long box, 2500 series, 350 engine, 5.7 litre, wanting to keep everything original. Information would be much appreciated.

Rylee Hiebert
  2. rottie

rottie Junior Member

Short of robbing a bank, your going to need a pile of money! Thousands work well, go from section to section. Launch the bed if its shot or you'll make comprise's. Thats bad. Make it mechanicaly sound first,engine,tranny,axels,brakes and electical. After it rolls around good then cosmetics. Do the interior to your likeing your going to spend alot time drving it so my's well like it. Don't do any short cuts, you'll pay for it in the long run.Don't skip weather striping or door seals. Stick to details, the more the nicer it will come out. Get some catologs and look whats there and dream. Make a good plan write it down follow it, list the parts you'll need and buy them .Take your time nad you'll enjoy the out come. DON'T RUSH. Have fun. Find someone with a digtal camera to show us your progress. Thats one mistake I made.:cool:
  3. rylee

rylee Junior Member

The parts I don't have to worry about because my dad's friend used to work at his dad's junkyard. He told me that he could find me some parts without hurting the pocket. The box only
    needs spot work, just around the fenders. If someone could explain how to give a paintjob and how to do the engine work because I'm hoping to do labour myself.
  4. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

You are asking for a huge amount of information, too much to be passed along in posts here. It sounds like you have no experience with either bodywork or serious mechanical work. While you can get a lot of information here, you will also need to be prepared to shell out serious money to get someone else to do the things you cannot.

I've been dubbing around with bodywork on my own stuff for close to 20 years now and I have never gotten beyond the concept of 30-30, If it looks good from 30 feet away or going by at 30 miles an hour that's good enough for me. I do the bulk of my own wrench work and I'm fairly good at it, but I won't open an engine or transmission. Too much "fussy" stuff in there for me to mess with.

Your first project vehicle will take what seems like forever and probably still won't be as well done as you would like, it's part of the learning curve. Spend some money on books, there are some out there that do a pretty good, illustrated step-by-step job of showing how to do some of the things you ask about. That will be a good place to start.

Good luck at any rate
  5. E-man

E-man Junior Member
    from west.PA

they are full of great info. Five years ago my buddy , who new only basic vehicle maintenance rebuilt his chevy engine, did all the body work, interior, paint and even clear coat, just from reading books and asking questions. It took almost two years but the outcme was awsome.

BTW it was a 79 chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 350