1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

restoration guys

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by IPLOWSNO, Oct 16, 2011.

1. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

hey guys,,,,,,,,

heres my dilemna,,,,,

i have an older 90's gmc, my mom actually helped me get it when i was just starting to work for myself. she is no longer with me so it has some sentimental value,,,,

when i stopped driving her i let the wife drive her,i know what was i thinking ,, well she drove it with the front cv shaft going so it needs some mechanical work done, heres the list , so me not being mechanically inclined, how much do you figure i could pay someone with skills to finish it up,,

things i know need fixing are,

front cv shaft,

door handle/ lock fix?, ie; dam doors don't latch

side window roller tray assembly needs to be fixed,ie; roll that window down and there she will stay,

maybe a mouse nest in the heat vent?

brake lines, brakes probably,

tune up

what would you guys do, maybe run an ad on c/l ,,,,,,,,,,looking for the right guy maybe?

or scrap her and get over it? this is what she looks like now she is just dirty,

[​IMG]

2. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

If that picture is current, I wouldnt not just scrap it. Those OBS Chevys are hard to find in good shape, and that one looks like its in good shape. Most of those repairs are actually pretty easy. The brake job is real easy (on a 1500), and at that point your halfway to doing the CV shaft which isnt much harder. Even doing brakes on a 2500 or 3500 isnt much harder, and getting the CV shafts out while the brakes are apart is even easier on those. Basic tuneup (plugs, wires, cap and rotor and all the filters) anyone could do that, the door lock is a pretty simple fix just gotta take the door panel off and look at the mechanism its really not complicated at all theres only a couple moving parts and odds are either one of the lock rods came off the handle or one of the rods and mechanisms just needs to be lubricated and freed up. The window, I would take that to a glass shop I had to have one on an older Chevy I owned replaced one time I think it was a couple hundred bucks for the glass shop to do it. Brake lines you could do yourself, they are not hard just gotta have some patience and take your time. Like I said, if that picture is an accurate representation of the vehicle in its current state, then I would not scrap it. Hell if you're gonna do that I'll drive the 3 hours and take it off your hands for scrap value! :drinkup:

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I agree with Mike, if its as clean as in the pic and the frame etc. is solid I would sink a few grand into her and make it like new again. This economy still sucks and I would rather spend a few grand than have a 4-600.00 monthly payment! Our 06 is paid off this month along with our personal vehicle....THANK GOD! We're going to use the 06 payments to sock away at the other equipment payments. Hopefully be debt free within 2 years.

4. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

You don't have to fix everything at once. Fix a few things at a time. From the pic, the truck is definitely not scrap.

5. BFBoss

BFBoss Member

looks like a nice truck, I like the OBS chevys. Are those headlights legal? haha

6. IPLOWSNO

thanks guys looks like i am gonna have to get my hands dirty and teach me some patience the hard way,

i think i have to build me a carport first so it doesn't take up any garage space, that way it can sit without me rushing it,

the headlights are just covers,i found them atthe store one day and bought them thinking i got a deal to find out they were clear so i painted them and took out my hole saw and made them look cool i never got pulled over so who knows ,

thanks again for ther replies,,,,,,,,,,

7. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

PM me if you have any mechanical question's. I was a mechanic for, oh 15 years and have worked on anything and just about everything,lol

8. IPLOWSNO

thanks brain for the offer and i will lol