1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Respect!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ScottyB., Jan 17, 2002.

1. ScottyB.

ScottyB. Member

Hats off to all you guys doing this "plow thing" for a living.

Since I bought my truck in September and my plow in November I decided not to take on any customers this year. That was the best decision I ever made. I just wanted to get some experience on my own before people had to depend on me, and I had to depend on my equipment. The last thing I wanted to do was pay someone to do my accounts while I paid for repairs.

I am having a blast with my 1000' driveway. I had a few minor "learning experiences" but all has been well for the first 2 times out.

With all that being said, I've found there is a real art in plowing efficiently. Here in WI $30-$40 a push is the norm. So I really don't see $100-$150 being gouging in NY. I know people who pay $300-$500/month to board a single horse in NY. The going rate for that is $60-$120/month around here. And I know those people aren't hooking a plow to their horse. The media needs to do some simple math and realize how much your rigs are costing you. I've done the math and that is why I am trying to make it go with less than $5000 in my rig.

This post got a little long, but I can't say enough about the knowledge I got from this site and the respect that every customer should have for you guys. Hopefully I will be turning an "income" (I use that loosely) next year. Hopefully we will get a normal winter next year. Until then I will keep playing in the snow, and I know that is why most of you are doing this anyway.
    (Don't tell the wife)

Keep the shiny side up.
    Later,
    Scotty B.

2. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

thanks for the kind words scott, i'm shur everyone appretiates it.
    i'm from Shawano and haven't had a whole lot to do yet either, just a couple small 1" STORMS.
    dan

3. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas Senior Member

Scotty - good luck with it next year - hope you get some good experience this year. Besides plowing - keep up with this site. I've been in the snow business over 10 years (landscaping for over 20) and only found this site last year. I can honestly tell you that this (and Lawnsite.com) is one of the most usefull tools to my business I've come accross. The help, insight and knowledge you can get (and share) here will put you years ahead of others.

4. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Scotty: Sounds like you've done some homework and thought about this, good decision IMO.

For next season, an option you could consider is working as a sub for another contractor. All the "biz stuff" will need to be in place, and obviously you'll want to have the truck & plow in shape for workin', but you won't need to be chasing customers for accounts (and payment :( ) and it will give you a good insight into the "snowbiz".

The sub route is the way I have chosen to go for at least a couple of seasons, it's also the most practical way for me to juggle plowing and a full-time job.

Just an idea to toss out there.