1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

reskinning a plow blade

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by berlincam86, Mar 3, 2008.

1. berlincam86

berlincam86 Member

Can this be done? I got a used minute mount but the blade is rusted pretty good. I dont have alot of money to get a new blade. I want to try to reskin it. Has anyone done this and could give me some tips on how to do it?I was thinking on cutting off the old one with a torch, Grinding the ribs a little and welding a new piece of metal on. What gauge should I use? Can I go thin to save weight and be able to mold it to the ribs. I know thick metal will be very hard to bend with the ribs. Is there a trick to getting it to roll with it? Or could I just go plastic?
  2. jedi1

jedi1 Junior Member

why bother?

i would not try to reskin it, i would disassemble it and hace it media blasted then paint it with a good epoxy primer sealer then the oem paint. i have done this to many westerns and they look good for 3 or 4 years!
  3. berlincam86

berlincam86 Member

I would but it is rusted through in alot of spots. Or maybe I could just patch the holes.
  4. berlincam86

berlincam86 Member

Here are some pics its pretty rough. I got it pretty cheap though and it works great.

5. ZoomByU

ZoomByU Member

not worth the time or money
  6. Elwer Lawn Care

Elwer Lawn Care PlowSite.com Addict

just a thought, if you cut it all off, just put 2 layers of thinner steel so that away you can bend it into place, you might have to drill into the steel in spots to fill with weld to hold it. or just put a new piece of steel over the old part without cutting it off, would be easier but might not last as long.
  7. berlincam86

berlincam86 Member

Yea I figured but I'm goin to try anyway. I can get the metal cheap but I dont have alot of money for a new blade.
  8. berlincam86

berlincam86 Member

Yea that sounds good I might try that.
  9. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Moisture will collect between the two sheets and rot out real fast.
  10. berlincam86

berlincam86 Member

Good point. Any ideas how to bend the metal? How thick should the metal be?
  11. Matt L.

Matt L. Member

Get a sheet of 1/4 poly and rivet it to the ribs or carriage bolts. something smooth for the working side of the moldboard. then you can leave the old stuff alone. just a thought.
  12. berlincam86

berlincam86 Member

Yea thats the way I might go. Im not sure yet.
  13. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Ok here is a old thread how to reskin a plow it is not the best thread but it does show some pics of how we do it, If you can find a weld shop that can roll some steel you got it. The cost is much cheaper than a new moldboard. http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=33130
  14. berlincam86

berlincam86 Member

Thats nice I wish he would of added more detail. But oh well Thats exactly what I want to do. Thanks.
  15. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Ok do you have metal working tools? Like cutting wheels, grinders,tourches, welder ? or a weld guy? These are the first things you need. Cutting off the skin down to the frame is easy then you blast the frame down to the metal finish. Roll the new skin and attach it to the frame by welding then just add paint..
  16. berlincam86

berlincam86 Member

I do have a welder, torch, grinder, Air compressor with a cutoff wheel and grinder. What I dont have is a way of bending the metal to shape. I think I can figure the cutting the old off and getting it prepped for new metal its just the shape thats got me stumped.
  17. berlincam86

berlincam86 Member

I also have a 7.5 with a good moldboard but the spring perches have been cut off to the bolts. Would it be easier to fix that one?
  18. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I did mine with a press brake. Did small brakes about an inch apart until I match the radius. If you could find a 10ft roller that would be smoother but most shops only have 4-5ft ones.

Its definately worth the time to do. I did mine in about a day.
  19. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

they sell poly liner's for like $50 from angelos

it comes with a tube of silicone and all.

all you have to do is lossen youre cutting edge and place it under it and then clamp it down with youre edge, the just glue it to youre old moldboard. it will not help with the holes but you ain't got nothin to lose. you can also just get a peice of angle iron and go to a farm eq. dealer and get a old peice of baler belt and have a snow deflector...just remember to put the skin on and then bolt the angle to the top of the moldboard to clamp it up top

i have done it to a few of my plows and it works great
  20. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

i agree, wow that has seen it's days. Try spraying some fluid flim on it maybe it will come back to life.