1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Residentials and seasonal pricing?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by NicholasMWhite, Dec 19, 2010.

1. NicholasMWhite

NicholasMWhite Senior Member

How many of your residential accounts have seasonal pricing (one price for the year or per month no matter what). I give the customer the option of choosing seasonal or per push and almost all have chosen per push. It seems in Canada there are alot more residential accounts on a seasonal pricing.

I like the idea of a tractor with a PXPL for residential accounts. But if I can't get customers to accept seasonal pricing it is just to hard to predict the potential revenue and I don't see how it could be done. I don't want to go the HOA route and get a tractor for that because then you still have to deal with salting and sidewalks which I would like to avoid if possible. I'm doing only residential accounts now with a plow and very few of them have me doing sidewalks and none of them have salting.

So how many of you in the States have residential customers with seasonal pricing.

2. MikeLawnSnowLLC

MikeLawnSnowLLC Senior Member

We sit at about 80% seasonals 20% per push for our residentials. Commercials are almost nearly all per push.

3. cpmi

cpmi Senior Member
    from CT

It's 50-50 on both our residentials and commercial accounts.

4. MattR

MattR Senior Member

Last year I had one seasonal which was a hobby farm up for sale and the owner moved out of state. Still needed to have heat in the house since it was on the market and also not winterized, so the drive needed to be clear for the LP guy.

This year is all per push. Some people must not think it will snow much...lol.

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Seasonal ,this way you know how much money comes in for the season.

6. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

I have quite a few that do not live at thier camps but want oi kept open. I just charge by the push for all.

7. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

Seasonal plowing doesn't sell around these parts. Everybody thinks they're getting screwed if you don't get much snow and charge them money and do no work. They don't realize they are paying for a guarantee on service or realize if they get a lot of snow it may be cheaper than per push. I can sell seasonal on the mowing much better because they know the grass will grow for most of the summer.

8. grandview

Around here its harder to sell seasonal mowing because they think they are getting ripped off!

9. wildwilly

wildwilly Member

I always tell people that if you want to be per push you go to the end of the line for service. You want to pay for the year(4 months) you are golden, but only after the commercial stuff gets done. Most of my customers are seniors so they aren't going to go out right after a storm. They are serviced within 8 hours of the end of the last flake

10. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

I was thinking of offering next year discounts for uncut weeks-give back 40% - by my calcs it amounts to labor and mower gas- but not all the other business expenses, parts, repairs, oil, insur, 401k, truck gas, mower & truck depreciation etc...

11. grandview

Last 3 years ,havn't missed a week of cutting. Never give back money.

12. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

If you do that you may as well do it per cut and be done with it. Seasonals are a crap shoot. Some time you win and sometimes the homeowner wins. If you calculate it right you win more ofthn than not. If it's a contract then don't give any money back.

I give the customers an option of a 10% discount at the signing of the contract if they gaurantee me 7months of income based on the average number of cuts for the season. If it works out that I cut less than the average due to weather condtions I make out a bit better than doing it per cut. If I need to cut more than average the customers gets a bit of a break. On the average I usually get the better part of the deal.

13. grandview

On the lawn cutting you lose money in the spring because it takes longer ,you make the money when the grass slows down so you don't want to give the easy money back.

14. jklawn&Plow

What's a Avg hourly rate if you figure gross time with no expenses. $40?

15. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

I bid residential at $45.00. Commercial is more because they are more demanding.

16. wildwilly

wildwilly Member

1 minute = $1.00...otherwise get the neighbourhood kid. My furnace went on me last month... part cost $65.00 total bill $460.00 total time spent in my house.... 35 minutes

17. KMBertog

KMBertog PlowSite.com Addict

all our residential snow customers are at a per-push price.

18. jklawn&Plow

$$/hr are from $31 to $58. weighted Avg is $45
    Can do real well when you get the neighbors too. No extra unload, loadup time. I guess I'm in the ballpark. But I really push the envelope time wise. I think my prices are low.

19. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

all my residentials are per push

20. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

All my Residentials are also per push. Most are older folks that are on limited incomes. It's easier for them to come up with push price than a seasonal chunk.

I charge $60 an hour for bigger jobs. Some days I don't think that's enough.