1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Residential uphill downhill driveway

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by richardb200373, Oct 28, 2007.

1. richardb200373

richardb200373 Junior Member

Hello all, any help is greatly appreciated... I live in an area that has up hill and down hill driveways, not long, just the normal 100 to 200 ft. driveways. My question and concern is about plowing with a bobcat and smooth bucket: Will it slide down? Can it make it back up? Should I use chains? By the way, I am renting the machine. Thanks :gunsfiring:
  2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

The unit probably won't slide down any hills but you'll have a tough time going back up (at least with the bucket in use). I don't have any experience with tire chains but I would have to imagine that they'd help quite a bit with traction. I can see them causing unnecessary wear and tear on blacktop and concrete and that would be a major problem. Perhaps a tracked machine is your best option but I wouldn't know for sure since I don't have one.

Good luck
  3. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I did a lot of plowing a couple years ago with some Bobcats and ASVs. Here's my experience. Having four tires is not even worth getting in the machine and starting it up. I don't know how so many people use them and like them, I found them to be totally useless. All you do is spin and spin and spin. Four tiny little contact patches. Add some hill to that and you will have problems. A tracked machine is about a million times better and faster. I don't know why you would want to use one for driveways. Have you tried it before? If you're going to use a bucket, you're looking at at least two passes, probably three and maybe four, width-wise. Not to mention the bucket will only take so much snow, a snow blade would be better. And the visibility is terrible. I would never do driveways with skidsteer, even if I owned one and the driveways were my neighbors. For a commercial lot where you can leave it there, I'd want a tracked ASV or Cat with a Blizzard 810 on it.
    Are you going to drive it on the road to the driveways? Not legal a lot of places. If you're going to trailer it, that's a lot of work loading and unloading, plus leaving a truck and trailer on the road during snow removal will not make you any friends with the municipal guys.

I plow a commercial lot for an equipment rental company. They used to do it themselves with three skidsteers with 60 inch buckets, took 3-4 hours. It takes me 1-1/2 hours with my 810. Talk about productivity.