1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Residential Toronto plowers how did you handle the ice covering?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by casey, Feb 1, 2002.

1. casey

casey Banned

Wondering how anyone in Toronto cleared the 1 1/2" of slushy ice after clearing the 6" of snow yesterday. We were able to snowblow & shovel the 1 1/2" of slushy ice until about 4:00 pm today when it froze solid. The final few drives were salted only as removal was impossible.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2002
  2. Nova

Nova Member

It wasn't really cold enough to freeze until after 3pm-4pm like you said, forunately I got all mine done for the second time by 3pm.

It was only a problem at noon, it was really sticking to the road and creating that speed bumb effect. So I took 1/2 an hour to eat, went back and never had the same problem again, temp. must have fallen a bit or something.

It was an interesting storm! My first one with my own truck/company.

Started Thursday at noon, finished at 9pm. Went back out at 1am to clean up after city plows, city plows didn't finish until Friday afternoon, plus we got that couple cm Friday morning. Went back out at 10:30am Friday, finally done by 3pm.

3. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

Went back out at about 7am Friday morning and backdraged the driveways, most of them cleaned up fairly easy.The walkways were a bit harder. As Nova said a one point some of the snow was sticking to the road and made a speed bump but it wasn't too bad. The only problem I had was during the storm on Thursday was blowing a belt on one of my Toro snowblowers.

Razor

4. fordman

fordman Senior Member

The first 6'' of snow was no problem, it wasn't very heavy snow. The next inch or so of snow/freezing rain/ice was supprisingly heavy for just an inch. It's good that we didn't alot of the heavy stuff, but hey I'm not complaining any type of snow is better then no snow at all. It just felt good to be working again. Still managed to finish my drives by 2pm today.

5. Mac

Mac Member

I just have one thing to say it was a really wierd storm, it through everything at us. All you could do was keep pushing it off.

6. dan deutekom

dan deutekom Member

This was really strange weather. In less than 24 hours we had snow, ice pellets, freezing rain, rain, thaw, sun, high winds, refreeze and snow. Just keep pushing.

7. skeloo

skeloo Junior Member
    from Toronto

We did fine we started out Thurs at noon as well. Finished around midnight, took alot longer this time as the traffic was bad , went back out fri to do alittle touch ups, and put some salt down , but all in all wasnt bad. It's just the people who are on the roads that shouldn't be make it harder for us. oh well at least we now can say we are doing some work for our money.
    :)
    Jennifer

8. diginahole

diginahole Member

We had lots of notice that this storm was coming and knew that freezing rain was going to be part of the mix. I pre-applied Magic salt to all my lots the night before the storm. First plow everything slid right off and still left some residual magic on the asphalt. We got another 3" of snow before a heavy downpour of rain followed by rapid temperture drop. It turned the mess on the ground to a big chunk of ice. We plowed everything one more time and the lots were black in no time.

I plowed 6 one time call ins on saturday and left about an inch of ice on the drives. Some of these drives hadn't even been driven on yet. Pre-treating saved me bundles.

9. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I know the weather isu npredictable,but we like to try to leave a little snow on untreated area,residential,s befroe the vchangeover,thsi way the ice sticks to the top of the snow,and it all peels up.But since it got real cold,i understand why you plowed it,better to havw 1 1/2" of ice,than 3" of solid snow.ice.Didginahloe,that magic salt does work well doesnt it?I locve how it keeps the bond from forming,when you do back to back lots,one treated,the other not,you really see the difference.

10. 4 Saisons

4 Saisons Senior Member

Did not trust my snowblower only operation for that one. So like i said in another post, i rent a tractor to feel more secure. We didn't get the storm expected but we got that snow, slushy,frozen rain package. I use the tractor to clean the slope and on all accounts i did only the entrance. was friday morning 2am.

Wait until saturday morning and clean all the driveway. Snow was down to less than 2 inches with a half inche top layer of ice. The temp was very cold and looking the sun via all this ice coming from the blower was like a rainbow. Got problems with hard packed ice only few drives, they been in and out too much. Will send a friend with a tractor this week, if temp go up, to scrape this off.

Customer were happy to see a bigger machine for the event. (and myself very happy not being wet under the rain)