1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Residential to commercial

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by grassgator, Oct 20, 2009.

1. grassgator

grassgator Junior Member

Hey there - I have been in the plowing business for about 5 years. I have been a sub for 4 of those years and now am on my own. I started a landscaping / lawn care company and gained alot of customers from that. This week I was called by a large commercial company to plow for them. The company has 2 buildings across the street from eachother and work 24/7. I looked at the property today and I kind of feel overwelmed. I have 2 trucks on the road and others that I use on "Stand By". I guess my worry is if we get a big storm if I can keep up.

Keep in mind, this is a shipping station with 15 loading docks per building and metel bin containers everywhere. This is not the easiest plow job in the world.

What do you think I should do, Go for it or let it go?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Have a Google Earth picture of it?

3. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

just a suggestion, the first big commecial i ever did, i told them up front that i would do my best, but that this was my first commercial property, ended up the said they received the best service they ever did, and still get that service to this day. my point is, be up front, and give a good price, and they won't be jumping up and down if you have a small mess up, you sound like you are doing this right, good luck

4. grassgator

grassgator Junior Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  5. grandview

How many other places would you be plowing if you got this place? 2 trucks could plow the one in yellow ,are you saying there is another building too?

6. grassgator

grassgator Junior Member

There are two pictures there. Two buildings, One Company. Both are huge. I also have about 8 residential accounts

7. grandview

See it now. Well if you were to get it I would dump the drives now.It is a lot for to trucks but it could be done if you plan it right. You would need to keep the road and dock open then work the employee parking for the next shift to come in. And pray for no Blizzards.

8. grassgator

grassgator Junior Member

The large snows is what worrys me the worst! Maybe I should just plug for some more residential until I get more equipment.

9. grassgator

grassgator Junior Member

What do you thing a lot like that would go for? Plowing & Salt plus walks

10. buckwheat_la

my friend, you have your work cut out for you, that is a big lot, we do a compound a little bigger the that, two skid steers, about 4 hours, keep this in mind, half your work is going to be driving around that long laid out lot, you are also going to find in a place like that, quite a few uneven surfaces, takes longer to do a area when you have to take it at different angles to get the snow off, also, plan on a couple call backs for those loading areas on heavy snowfalls, the place we do i have just gotten into the idea of showing back around there mid day to redo the loading docks, and key loading areas.

11. grassgator

grassgator Junior Member

buckwheat, Thats why I think I might stick to residential and smaller commercial. For now at least!!

12. buckwheat_la

i have a suggestion, have you considered partnering up with another small company, two are stronger then one, i really like to see the little guy get ahead, i well tell you something about industrial like this, if you do a good job, you well have a large contract for life, you don't get issues like with walmart (read threads in other area of plowsite) they are worried about productivity

13. grassgator

grassgator Junior Member

that is an interesting idea. I like it. come to think of it, I have a concrete buddy that owns his own company. Not only does he have a plow on his truck, he has 2 skid loaders. That would make for 3 trucks and 2 skid loaders. I think the only problem there would be 1 salt spreader.

The other thing is that I have no idea how to estimate a 24/7 industrial account.

14. buckwheat_la

do you have a idea on how many snow falls you can expect a year, and a approximate yearly snow amount, if you work out some of those numbers, i well help you out on your quote

15. grassgator

grassgator Junior Member

We probably have 4-6 decent snowfalls (not like it used to be) Probably 4-8 inchs per fall. Thats just off the top of my head.

16. buckwheat_la

4-6 snow falls a month, or a year?

17. grassgator

grassgator Junior Member

a year. Not much happens around here anymore when it comes to snow

18. buckwheat_la

ok, but keep something in mind, again, this company well expect any slip or snow fall hazard to be taken care of, we do our industrial plant every snowfall that is over 1inch, no matter what, unless it is going to melt the same day. also being that we are talking that little amount of snow, you may consider doing the salting off the back of your truck, i know this doesn't sound like a very attractive option, but, you well find you can go through a lot like you are doing in a couple of hours with a couple of shovels too,

19. grassgator

grassgator Junior Member

I have the spreader on the back of the truck. Plus a walk behind for the sidewalks. They did say that we would start at the 1" marker. They wanted 15 bags of salt at each building to be able to spread some themselves.

20. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

This thread is what makes PS such a great place..