1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Residential Techniques??? What do you do

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Caneplow, Dec 19, 2004.

1. Caneplow

Caneplow Senior Member

Looking for people that do mostly residential driveways. I normally layout mine on paper and make sure I know where to put the snow; with my old truck I would:

1. V into the driveway
    2. Pick up the plow and go to straight for backdrag about about 2 - 2 1/2 truck distances.

3. Reverse my way in and then push the pile into the area that we agreed upon with the scoop.

Now, this is what I do for mostly straight driveways. Just looking for other techniques that you use or general conversation to learn more.

2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Me I rarely plow out, always in. All my jobs are country homes none in city. I plow in as far as possible the through pile to one side at end and back drag in front of garage if needed. I may make a partail pass on way out if needed to widen it.

3. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I plow all residential in a suburban area. Drives vary greatly in design from house to house. Alot of mine either have garages on the side of the house (as opposed to the in the front and in the back of the driveway). Those are my favorite kinds, i just push foward and stack at the end. Heavy snow i hit the top at angles instead of doing it all at once. I only have to backdrag a few small ones which i hate doing. Most i can come in on an angle and find a place to stack up the snow.

4. Toby

Toby Senior Member
    from NY

Short Res. Drives Fronted w/Garage Doors ?

Fire Up a Snowblower & No Mess to Shovel in Front of the Door.

I can Pound out more Res. Drives Faster w/Snowblowers & Leave them Cleaner than any of the Plow Trucks around here....But then Again No one is Smart enough to Use Pull Plows....eXcept Me...I eXpect that To Change Soon Though....Money See...Monkey Do !

http://www.plowsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5424&stc=1

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I have all residentials this year. There are two main factors I consider when I'm planning how to push:

1. Drainage - plan so as piles melt they won't melt across or into the driveway, walkway or toward the house.

2. Keep driveway entrances clear. Do not pile snow by the entrance. I get irked when snow blocks my line of sight so I can't see oncoming traffic. It seems to happen a lot and seems to me like a sign of a lazy, unprofessional plow job.

6. Up North

Up North Senior Member

I agree with Mick. But have found that pushing the snow out towards the end of driveway and dumping to ditch area on the sides of the driveway work pretty well. If it starts getting towards the point of blocking the view I start stacking further back in the driveway but still close enough to the ditch for runoff. My dad taught me that years ago, when the snow melts it goes into the ditch and flows away vs. melting in the driveway and making a mess. But like Mick on some drives I have to push in and stack snow in good drainage areas, but certainly try to keep my piles away from buildings and high areas.

Buck

7. Tarkus

Push to street will not work here and there is no real big ditch to loose it in and if you did use it you could plug up run off throw ditch and have a real mess and some get upset if you dump someone elses snow on their property so just about all of it goes in which is not a problem on any of the drives I do because they are on 2 acre lots or bigger.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2004
  8. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Is someone dumping snow on someone else's property??

Buck

9. Runner

Runner Senior Member

I always put it into the customers' ditches, but unfortunately, it takes me a few extra steps because I do it from the road side - clipping in from the shoulder and end of the driveway. I also put it on the side of the drive that is AFTER the drive when the roadplow passes. I like the idea of putting it into the ditch from the yard side as you are pushing it out, but the ground here has been real wet and soft, and besides that, you never know what they might have in their yard (like a bed) out near the ditch.
    Now, what I DO practice, is staying in the habit that when I pull up into a residential - those that I am jumping out of the truck to clean in front of the garage and walks, is making sure I line myself up right with the edge of the driveway with the plowedge AHEAD OF TIME. So often, I would just pull up, and when I got back into the truck, I would have to back up and line my plowedge up with the drive edge. This saves a step. When I backdrag (my leftside first), I keep my blade angled slightly to the left so any runoff will be to my right. This keeps the outside edge neater. If the snow stays on the cement, I angle the blade slightly to the right and pull forward - then repeat. I do the exact opposite on the right side. Turnarounds, I pull out curved, with the blade matching to pull the majority of the snow off. Aftyer I turn around, I clean up the rest of the turnaround by pushing forward CAREFULLY, lifting tghe blade to not hit the sod, and to layer the snow. I then push the snow out to the end of the drive, leaving MY left side (facing the road) out a little further than the right side. This way, it's a cleaner line to push the lengthwise pile into the ditch area from the road. Also, when I pull out into the road, I angle the blade all the way to the right, so when I bump the pile on the way out, it all stays close to the pile, and not out into the road. I then straighten or slightly angle the blade to the left so as to clean the inside end of the driveway completely. Then I can angle the blade accordingly to finish up. It sounds like alot, but it's routine and goes rather quickly. :)

10. Tarkus

In the country people sometimes plow out accross the street to other side (I do not) Also if you pile it at end of drive by road in a snowy season you can limit visabiltiy down the road when pulling out because not everyone drives a tall SUV to see over piles.

11. snowinjoe

snowinjoe Senior Member

In town we use the blower but if we get behind then the back blade on the truck is the answer. pull it out then wing it against the boulavord or up onto the lawn.

12. Toby

Toby Senior Member
    from NY

IMO, if you're doing garage fronted res. as primary income w/a front plow only You're Nutz. Pull Plows & Blowers are the Way to Go on Subdivision routes and in the Suburbs.....Considering that Walks and Steps are Mandetory around here When doing Res....You have to get out of the Truck anyway...Blowers are Usually the Preferred Method. If Pulling then we Push on the Customers Front Lawn.

I can do 3 drives/Walks/Steps in the Time it Takes a Truck w/Front Mount Plow to Do One.

13. Up North

Up North Senior Member

I guess everyone's situation is a little different, therefore no right way nor wrong way to plow someone's driveway. Do what works best for the customer and all should be fine.

Buck

14. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

HMMMM... I find this hard to believe... Most driveways can be cleared with a plow in a couple of quick passes....Any the walks should be a wash if using a blower to clear them.

15. Toby

Toby Senior Member
    from NY

By the Time they Clean Up the Mess in front of the Garage Door (Required around Here) & all the Nooks and Crannies they Can't Touch w/the front Plow and fix the edges (Often Necessary Because No One Stakes for some reason)...I'd have 3 Done...2 if Using Toro 3650's.

These are Subdivision and Suburban...So you either have a Row of them to do or It's Not Worth your Time.

16. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Well first off if the drive way is not staked, and the guy plowing it does not know the lay out it is his own fault. Second most guys I know have very little clean up to do when they plow a drive way, so I guess it depend on who is doing the plowing.... Also I know for a fact that a snow blower cannot go any were near as fast as a plow can especially in the deep snow...