1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Residential Snow Removal

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Petr51488, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Petr51488

Petr51488 Senior Member

I was wondering how you guys operate with residential snow removal prices.. I was thinking for the following year one of 2 things.. I would 1. Charge a one time fee in the beginning of the year.. lets say 300.00 This 300.00 would include snow removal for anything over an inch. The only gamble with this would be that if it snows a storm a week.. im screwed.. Number 2 would be to charge by the minute. Lets say a dollar a minute. I have a snowblower that i use, so its not much work doing snow removal (except getting up at 3 in the morning). The only time i actually begin to break a sweat while doing snow is when i do the walkway (if the blower cant get to it) and the stairs.. everything else the blower takes care of. So what do you guys think? 1- being i charge a one time fee? 2 charge by the minute? or 3- charge by the inch? i forgot to mension my inch prices: 2-5 inches=25.00 (takes about 10 minutes tops), 6-11 inches 40.00 (takes about 20 minutes) And anything over 12'' is 50.00 (takes about 30-35 minutes. Salting will of course cost extra.. So.. what do you think? 1?2?3? and why - Peter
  2. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

i dont want to come off as an arse, but if you put snow removal in your contract some customers might think you are going to haul the snow off in a truck, not plow there driveway.
  3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Pick a figure for each plow and times it by 10 events.
    Make that your season bill. IF it goes over that make it per event after 10 events.
    Include sidewalks and drive each event.
  4. Ian03

Ian03 Senior Member

Actually after screwing myself this year I have another alternative.

Do it as a retainer. Charge 200.00 or whatever up front and then send them a bill every time showing what you removed from the retainer. Once they get to the magic number, start sending them bills.

This is my first year on my own and I did the whole XXX.XX per season regardless of snowfall, I got SCREWED. But, I did it to myself so I can't ***** really. If I did this last year I would have made out like crazy, oh well.
  5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

On a seasonal rate you will have good and bad years. You can never loose money though. You know what you are going to make except for fuel. I like the seasonal rate. If you pick a number like 10 and say to the customer that if it goes over that then it is $30/plow you are going to get the people that ask if you are going to refund $30/plow for only 7 snowfalls. I have been there, done that.
  6. wstwind

wstwind Senior Member

most companies up here base seasonal prices on 15 snowfalls or more. plowing starts at 1.5 in. i do not charge if we go over the set number, likewise if we only have 10 snowfalls i don't give money back. it's "snow removal insurance".
    this year i have 40% of my customer base that paid seasonaly, and we have only plowed 3 times this year. i have yet to get a complaint.

Hey "east coast" send some of that white gold my way!!! :dizzy:
  7. ltlm

ltlm Member

we try to get $200 to $300 per res a month. but this year dec was 5 events and jan we had 7 so were way below fo our snow. we had two ice storms that were good salting days one was 1/4 in other was 3/4 in of ice. we got most yearly contracts so if they pay up front they get a discount like a 1200.season-200 discount $1000. up front money
  8. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

Hey Wstwind,

The only problem with 3 events in 9 days, 1 a blizzard, and it only being Jan is that all the per inch customers are getting twitchy. Invoice shy. Gee Mister, can I get out of my contract? How 'bout if I shovel the first 3 inches? Etc. :cry: Last year I made "0" after expenses. Even if it continues snowing it'll take a lot to make up for that.

Of course, I'd rather have my problems. :nod: LOL
  9. CTPlow

CTPlow Member

Keep it simple.

All I do is give a customer a price in writing, for so many inches.....and then, if its more than a certain amount of inches, I just tell then it will be X dollars more every 2-4 inches and go up from there. I also tell them, that if its a big storm, i will have to come more than once, with a ballbark price for each time.
    This is just my opinion, but I dont like contracts, never have, never will.
    I work on trust and verbal aggrement. Basically all the customers I have now understand what I charge and how it works.
    If there becomes any type of problem, we talk it over and come to an understanding(havent had to do this yet). If the billing becomes a problem more than once, then its usually adios!
    Again, the main thing is building trust. Not just with the plowing, but with each individual customer.
    For me anyways, I find this works best.
    Just my 2 cents.

2003 F350 w/ Meyer II EZ Mount
  10. Doc_77

Doc_77 Junior Member

i wish i still had this flyer ... i got a flyer last fall with this guys billing printed out on it.
    it basically said $xxx.00 for a seasonal contract. i believe it was 5 plow's. he would then he would charge by the push after the 5th plow.

seemed like a good idea :)