1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Residential Snow Removal

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PL Landscaping, Jul 27, 2014.

1. PL Landscaping

PL Landscaping Junior Member
    from Indiana

Looking for suggestions on the most efficient means of clearing residential driveways. We have about 40 along with commercial properties. Have tried trucks, snow blowers, ATV, bobcat with blade. We have to clear walks to front doors and public sidewalks. I have seen suggestions to use AG tractor and inverted snow blower, videos look like it would cover the sidewalks with another foot of snow from the driveway thus canceling any efficiency by the time you spent 40 minutes chugging through that heavy snow with a blower. Have been looking at testing out a Polaris Brutus with a PTO drive broom attachment. Anyone had luck with that. I realize no solution, other than snow blower, for walks but there has to be something maneuverable enough for the driveways that can increase speed and reduce employee fatigue. We have a lot of short but wide drives(3 car garages) so single stage snowblowers sucks if snow is heavy at all because you can't clear the center of the drive without throwing snow onto the outer perimeter and then blowing again. Most drives have some amount of slope which makes difficult for a truck and then once you get it out of drive, you have to find a place to put it without burying the public sidewalk. All of our drives are with in a 4 mile radius, so ideal machine could drive on its own without being trailered(i.e. bobcat with blade) and be able to carry the snow blowers for the walks. Taking suggestions because after last winter, I would just as soon dump all the residential. Getting difficult to keep staff willing to go out in the most brutal weather, in the middle of the night, in high winds, with sub-zero temps to clear driveways with snowblowers. Thanks for the help
  2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Jeeps (adding 10 caricatures so it will post)
  3. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Ag tractor with blower. Just don't blow on the sidewalk
  4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Holder tractor or trackless
  5. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Toro Dingo ride ons with blowers. Expensive, but highly maneuverable and should be able to direct the snow far better than an ag tractor. You could adapt snow cabs on to them, and add heated grips or some type of heated surface to heep hands warm. I personally would invest in top quality snowmobile gear, including a full face helmet with a heated shield. It would be quite comfortable even in shatty weather.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  6. BossPlowMaster

BossPlowMaster Senior Member

UTV with boss plow. Manuverable, easy transport, good for parking lots, sidewalks, driveways. They use John Deere gators around here with heated cabs, heck they drive them on the streets even now during summer.
  7. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I run a Skid steer Its a 2 speed and I drive it I don't haul it
    Its total route from start to End is 2 miles then back Its job doing Res drives and Com lots I have route set up where there isn't much road time between jobs Most of my Res. drives is drive only not many with walks ones I have to clean the guy runs skid use a Shovel deep snow he will pack a 418 toro blower
  8. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

Have you considered a Bobcat Toolcat?
  9. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Pull plow for drives and blowers for the walks...no way to get around snowblowers if you have residential walks to do. Pull plow makes easy work of drives even if they are steep.

Why didn't the Bobcat and blade work??