1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Residential Snow Removal

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MIPLOWER, Sep 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MIPLOWER

MIPLOWER Junior Member

I was wondering, how many of us only do Residential Snow Removal,
    Truck, Snow blower shovel

2. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I started out with 12 drives. Now I had over 40 accounts last year. This year I signed on a few more so far. That's where I started.

3. MIPLOWER

MIPLOWER Junior Member

Thanks for the reply

4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I do only resies about 100.

5. mansf123

mansf123 Senior Member
    from mass

i take on a about 15 residentials but most of my work is doing commercial work.

6. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

whats wrong with the residentail, is it worth it thread?

7. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

That's all I do is residential driveways.

8. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

Residential only 10 drives plow only

9. mrsnowman

mrsnowman Senior Member

I am down to 1 residential. They aren't worth it. If you want to make a living plowing, you need to have customers with money. Take a two hundred dollar drive for the season. The one night in early December you peal back the sod and bam your profits for the season are gone to repair it. One employee with a truck, gas, dirt, and seed. Easily 50 dollars. Gas, wear and tear insurance, comp, etc etc. throughout the season cost more then $150.00 for that drive. Now your drivers hit their garage door or mailbox, tear out their new pavors etc.
    Oh ya, they are also the ones who call you on Christmas and New Years because they need to be scraped down nice for their visitors. Big fat old NO THANKS! Boom

10. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

So why you plowing the lawn? could it be that your truck is the same size as the driveway and you have no clue where the plow is?

I dont care what you plow if you run into stuff you cant make money.

11. mansf123

mansf123 Senior Member
    from mass

The problem with residentials is people just cant grasp the fact that the driveway cant always be down to pavement at exactly 7am. If its still snowing in the morning there could be a few inches back on the drive even if you came at 6am. If your taking on over 50 driveways its tough to satisfy everyone. Im not saying theres not headaches in commercial work ( trust me there are plenty of issues) but its alot easier to satisfy those custermers because you are focused on one property instead of 50

12. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

I stick with commerical only.

13. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Why do they think that, clearly you are not explaining your scope of work. We rarely get those kinds of calls, we explain that we clear your driveway through out a storm so they can get in and out of their drives. Only once the snow has stopped do we make a final pass, and clear the whole driveway to the pavement. We just bought out another competitor, adding 750 more drives to our list of customers. The phones will still be handled, by one person. Have a clear snow response plan, and scope of work that should limit the calls. You are right that you cannot satisfy everyone, and those that just don't get it and keep calling. Well we will gladly refund them their money.

14. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

I do alot of residential. I don't mind it. I make more doing commercial work but I have a good mix of customers and equipment. I run two utility tractors and a sub with a utility tractor. Mine have front mount blowers and we do all walks, driveways etc. His has a rear mount blower and a loader. If it is wet sloppy snow and can't blow, we'll pull in a skid or plow truck.

People realize you can't have them open by 6-7 am. I have a list of priority customers - people like doctors, lawyers, people who travel to work no matter the weather and bunch of handicap assisble homes where a bus picks these people up by 7am. From there we go down the list.

NEIGE - wow an extra 750 clients - what is your total list comprise of.

15. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Hoping to sign all 3400 of them this year.

16. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

NEIGE: Smoken! That is alot of snow, equipment, and hours. I see in your sig. equipment - is that all yours, leased? What do you run for equipment? Pushers? etc.

I am looking at the kage, sectional, and degelman speed blade. Any recommendations?

17. mansf123

mansf123 Senior Member
    from mass

3400 accounts......Thats impressive. I always thought 100 was alot.

18. Neige

Neige Sponsor

What are you looking at putting it on?

100 is alot, then once you have 100 you go for 200, and so on, and so on, and so on. Years ago we only had 100.

19. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Wow, I've only got a little over 40 right now... Someday....

20. KMBertog

KMBertog PlowSite.com Addict

when it snows here i am responsible for only one drive. it's a very VERY large drive for an extremely wealthy client who lives in one of the wealthiest parts of the area. between the drive, garage area, and then the shoveling/snow blowing in appropriate areas then applying chemical... i am on the property for nearly 3 hours. then i stop by a couple multi family accounts to check our progress and head back to jump in a salt truck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.