1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

residential snow plowing pricing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by christmann1, Nov 26, 2007.

1. christmann1

christmann1 Junior Member

2. TGK

TGK Junior Member
    from CT

I quoted a guy $ 50 for his driveway and he sh%%. He was just very cheap. This sounds like a decent formula
  3. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I charge $30 for standard 2 car suburban drives......I can easily make $200 per hour in parts of my route........
    $50 for a drive unless it is non- typical is high in my opinion.........I doubt that would fly here.......if you get it then good for you.........
  4. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

you guys only do two drives in a hour?

my minimum is thirty for simple drive. if i have to back drag a garage it goes to thirty five. anything strange fourty up.

i have had people tell me it was too high. i didnt budge and told them to find someone else. happened a few times in the storm the other day. figured the guy they was paying to plow it wasnt their yet for a reason. i drove off and left one lady shoveling i had quoted fourty too. if she thinks i am too high then she can shovel. its her choice.

it was also her choice to put up the garage too backdrag. the flower garden on the right so i have to put all the snow on the left. and run the driveway in betweent trees at a slant making maneuvering at all awkward. i should have told her fifty.
    Another guy paid me but wanted me to lower it too twenty bucks for the rest of the seasons plows "because thats what the guy last year charged".
    told him to call up the guy he had last year. by the way, where is he now you have six inches in your drive?
  5. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

"Another guy paid me but wanted me to lower it too twenty bucks for the rest of the seasons plows "because thats what the guy last year charged"."

I always say... "OK I'll do it for $20..... But then for $20 I won't show up either"
  6. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

i remember a few years ago we got alot of snow, then it rained and froze. I was charging people 50 just to clean the apron. I did not want to do it so i priced it high. Was to hard on the truck.
  7. christmann1

christmann1 Junior Member

The driveways that I do are not short small driveways, sometimes they have circluar sections, backdragging with all, and the price includes snowblowing or shoveling of the walk, I think a $50 is a bargain price for these people, especially the high cost of gas, plow insurance and maintanance of equipment.
  8. theplowmeister

from MA

If they have a circle and back drag I get $55
  9. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I get $ 30.00 a drive and I don't get out of the truck. I have a couple that I get 75.00 a drive. They are long and they call in the middle of the season and have drove on it most of the season.
  10. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

I seriously sold my self short on sunday. guy called me to do his drive as i was on my way home...all done plowing. so I went over and he is at the end of the drive and starts say yeah jsut do this and push it over there, then this and that. which is fine I want people to tell me where they want their snow. so I do his drive by his house...., gravel, single lane, 2 passes, clear the entrance....done. then he asks me to do the drive to his barn. about 1/8th mile, gravel single lane, 2 passes, clear the entrance. thing is that one was rough as hell and beating up my truck. all done and heading back to the first drive he says what do I owe you. tired and what not i'm thinking the drive I jsut did was worth at least $30 so thats what i said. pull in the house drive and he has me do a little offshoot for it and then goes and writes me a check. on my way home I thought what was i thinking that should have been 50 at least jsut for how rough it was, plus 2 drives.....the 2nd was more like a road it was so long and winding....it does only take about 10-15min tops though.

anyway he called me today to do it again and i feel i need to honor that price cuz it is what i quoted him.
  11. MrBigStuff

MrBigStuff Senior Member
    from Boston

Sematics maybe but that is not what you quoted him. That's what you charged him. A quote happens before the work is done.

You have every right to change your prices and shouldn't feel obligated to charge the same amount. Of course he called back! He knows what a great deal he got the first time.

I'd provide a quote that is more in line with what you normally charge for equal work and if he doesn't like it, he can finagle someone else into doing it for less.
  12. theplowmeister

from MA

Explain the problems and that he just kept adding to your list. $30 for the drive and other stuff more. if you need to honer the original quote then so should he, only the 1 drive.
  13. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Donny, I had that happen to me the first year. I plowed before we agreed on a price and got screwed. Of course he called me back. That's when I told him what it'd be - $100 instead of the $40 I got last time. Don't feel bad and don't think you "owe" him anything. When he asks why the difference - tell him. He got you confused and took advantage- but it's only going to happen once.:gunsfiring:

You can't buy a good shovel for $20.00.
  15. What would the home owner charge

ask them how long it would take to shovel or blow their driveway
    (some actually know)
    So, if it takes them an hour to blow it -- would they take $30 for their hour of work ??
    Probably not.

We charge $85/hour and more if it is a special trip.

I may take a 5min blast down and back for a very long rural drive that is drifted
    and charge only $10.
    But, if someone calls from downstate and arrived ("didnt think there was so
    much snow up here") -- I start the clock when I leave home and dont turn it off
    until I am done. --due upon completion. I'll drive home on my own time.

Some easy drives $25-30. each.on a regular route. about 3 drives per hour.
    If we get out of the truck it is $10 unless it is a (very) old person or getting meals
    on wheels.
    Note: some drivers that have been plowing for 30 yrs are still charging $18 and have
    50 accounts. -- and new trucks.

now when to fold 'em-- and walk away.
    there is always someone that will do it cheaper. but few that will do it better.

We maintain several because we CALL to see if they are okay in a storm, bring
    in the mail for the seniors ( 80 somethings and home bound), and fix any yard
    damage in the spring -- with a thank you note.

A plumber, auto mechanic, heating repair service -- all charge more than me.

16. do you guys only do the driveway or do you include sidewalks? just curious

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I had a lady call me yesterday to quote her driveway. I went and looked at it, your everyday residential subdivision drive. I said 25.00 every time I show up every 2 inches. She about fell over back wards. I flat out said to her well what did you think it was gonna cost ya. She said 10 bucks a time, or 100 bucks a season. I said I can't make any money doing it for that, and it isn't even worth me getting up for that price. She said well I am not going to pay you to do it for 25 unless you can do it for 10, I said nope, thanks anyway, bye. Got back in my truck and left.

If people are lowballing that bad I am selling my truck and plow and moving to a warmer climate, and mowing lawns all year.

Also that price was not including walkways. She didn't want them done and I don't get out of my truck for less than 30 if the walks need to be done.
  18. samckitt

samckitt Junior Member

I charge $30 for a strait up 2 car garage, $35 for a 3 car strait, or for a drive where the garage is perpendicular to the main part of the drive, & add $5 if they want the sidewalk shoveled.

I have one lady that has asked me to do her drive for the past 3 years. I charged her $40 the other day for the drive & walk & she had a cow. She is a pain in the rear. Doesn't matter what I do, she complains about something. She would complain if I brought the jet engine blower out & dried the drive of all snow & water. So i am done with her. Not worth the stress to me to listen to her complain all the time.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2007
  19. brian79z

brian79z Junior Member
    from NW Ohio

It all depends on where you live. A friend of mine near NYC gets $65 for a 2 lane driveway, 80 feet long. Takes him less than 4 minutes.

The same driveway in my area will cost $25.... or less

Cost of living, housing quality/pricing and class of people will make all the difference. As you see, a flat fee for a driveway will not work in all areas of the U.S.
  20. big bird

big bird Senior Member

this is y i do not do drive ways because people are tight asses :gunsfiring::gunsfiring: