1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

residential snow clearing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by plowerfinn, Jan 24, 2003.

1. plowerfinn

plowerfinn Junior Member

Hey all,

Its my first post, but i have read alot of everyone elses. I think this is a great forum for ideas, brainstorming, and opinions. its hard to talk to people about snow removal (girlfriend) when they don't care, but here everybody is interested.

I was just wondering if anyone out there uses full size farm tractors and snowblowers to do residential snow removal, or if it is just a thing around here? If not, how many driveways can you do with a truck and plow per hour?

I have 3 john deere 5410 tractors with 92 inch blowers and can do 500 driveways in under 4 hours in any storm.

later

2. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Well i don't use a farm tractor but i can tell you not to waste your time with any truck when your doing 500 drives in 4 hours!

3. gslam88

gslam88 Senior Member

Could that be a typo and you mean 50 driveways in 4 hours

4. DanG

DanG Senior Member

Near the one driveway i have left over in Albany(In Loudonville) there's a guy who uses one to do his.

He has a good size Case tractor (60+HP) with a cab on it.Doesn't have a blower on it, Has a 8-9' blade on the front and a box blade on the rear.
    He does them quickly, and can stack the snow like crazy with the front blade.

Dan

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

That's like 28 seconds per driveway,or just over 2 driveways per minute.Not including any travel time.I have a hard time believing that one.

6. DanG

DanG Senior Member

I kinda figured it was a typo also :D

Wish I could do 125 driveways in an hour myself.:)

Hmmmm,

If I count each of the carports at the condo's i do as a "driveway"
    I think i'm ahead of him.There's 100+ and it takes me 1/2-3/4 hr for a3-6" storm to clear them.

Dan

7. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

I thought that was kind of high, but has 3 tractors going so that is approx 160 per tractor, making them each do about 40 an hour. With a 92" blower (almost 8') he only has to make one pass per drive. Sounds do-able to me, but must be really moving ! Very impressive, no way truck will touch that. IMO

8. DanG

DanG Senior Member

I went back and read it again:eek:
    He's got 3 tractors going

works out to about 41 drives an hour per tractor.

Sorry,:D

Dan

Last edited: Jan 24, 2003
  9. wyldman

wyldman Member

I just noticed the 3 tractors too,but it still must be a typo or something.

It would still be less than a minute and a half per driveway,or 40 driveways an hour per tractor,they must be awfully small driveways,and really close together !

Last edited: Jan 24, 2003
  10. Sno

Sno Senior Member

John Deere dealer maybe?

:rolleyes:

11. plowerfinn

plowerfinn Junior Member

tractors

well, by the response you all gave, i guess thats a no to using tractors.

I will break it down to clear the confusion up.

each tractor has 160 residential homes per route. each route has both single and double driveways. a single driveway is one car wide and two or three cars deep, and a double driveway is the same with two cars wide.

Of course you have the big fancy drives and the circle drives too, but lets not confuse the matter. (there are not enough to matter.)

so with a blower on the back, all you have to do is reverse into the driveway, drop the inversed blower (which means you drive forward while blowing the snow, infact you are pulling the snow out and blowing it on the lawn at the same time.)

You then back up the drive to get the last 2 feet , and your off to the next house. Usually you have many homes on one street and in one area, and the homes that are too far out of your way, you let someone else do.

some of my competitors have fleets of 40, 50 and 70 tractors.

I had a feeling snow removal like this is unique to this area, and it is not done like this anywhere else in the wolrd on such a grand format.

later

12. Arc Burn

I think it would take me a week to drive a tractor around to all my driveways:D

13. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

I use a 6' Lorenz on a John Deere 1070. I have never seen a inversed snowblower. If you could, please post a picture of your tractor with the blower.

14. Bonzai

Bonzai Member

Hi Plowerfinn, I used to work in Montreal for a company in Dollard,Point Claire area called Ricks Snow Removal. We did at least 150 houses per tractor and it only took me 2.5 hours on my route for a 6 inch snow fall. My Route was 135 drives, my bosses was bigger and we would meet in the middle.The route was also very tight, some times 10 drives on a street. We used John Deere 210s with 8 foot scaper blades with down-pressure on the back. They were great to work in. We did close to 3000 driveways in 5 square kilometres. Not much travel time there as you can see. lots of other trucks and tractors as well. It was great fun doing snow over there. Biggest snow fall I did there was 22 inches and it only took 20 hours from start to finish. That amount of snow here in Toronto would keep us busy for 3 days.

15. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg Senior Member

Inversed blower?

There's a few around my area but they are on trailers and have to be hauled to each job and unloaded. Mostly landscape co's. Seems it would be easier and more profitable if they put plows on their trucks. They seem to leave a pile of snow in front of the garage doors too.

16. gslam88

gslam88 Senior Member

SO what you guys are saying is that I can't match or beet 160 driveways an hour with my high performance supersonic snow removal system???

Last edited: Mar 15, 2007
  17. Arc Burn

Now hang on,nobody said you couldn't,but you may want to look into getting a inversed model thats all:p

18. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Picture this:

gslam is running along behind his high tech snow gizmo, trying to keep up with the competition. He's coming to the end of a long pass, hits a big crack in the pavement and....

19. gslam88

gslam88 Senior Member

Hey Pelican,

Keep it up wise guy.... and I just may run up your way with the new plow and start taking your customers from you........
    You would be backing up and I am off to the next customer.... I figure around 16 to 18 sec a customer to do the job right... no need to rush.... and take you how long to do a cusotmer??????

ROFLMAO with your response though......

20. farmertim

farmertim Member

And I thought I had the coolest equipment on the site!!
    Last year (2001) 2 days after Thanksgiving we got 2 feet of wet snow on mud.
    It had been in the 50's all week and wham.
    I didn't even have my push frame on my pick up yet so all I had was my 100 hp tractor loader bucket & V plow for 93 drives the route is 45 miles long not counting distance within the drives themselves.
    3 16hr days with the V plow to open everybody up, 3 16 hr days to clean out the rest of the snow with the loader bucket.
    8 days later it was all gone right back to 50 till christmas.
    This guys got me beat I'd say, good show, keep up the good work!
    :cool: