1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Residential Snow Blowing...Need a little advice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by TheGoodGrandson, Oct 12, 2011.

1. TheGoodGrandson

TheGoodGrandson Junior Member

I am a new business and am looking to dive (slowly) into residential snow removal.
    I will be using a snow blower and shovels only as well as with another person.
    I would be working mostly in a tight city setting where most of the snow removal are sidewalks, stairs and small tight driveways.
    I feel I would like between 8 and 15 clients this year.

Questions:
    1. I have been anywhere between $30 and $40 on my estimate. This doesn't include any type of ice management. Is this too much? Too little? I know you can't be exact.

2. With know I will be working with only 1 other worker, do you feel that 8-15 clients is too many clients? Too little?

3. Any other advice would be welcome.

Thanks,

Shaun
    The Good Grandson

2. Tubby's Snow Plowing

Tubby's Snow Plowing Senior Member

1. If customers are satisfied with the price for the quality of work and service, then it's the right price.

2. I think it's too little. 15 customers at $35 each (taking your average) is $525 per route in revenue. How many times per week would you clear snow in an average week in your area? Remember you also have to split the money with someone else after expenses are paid.

3. I would look for efficiency in clearing snow and looking toward having a larger customer base.

3. ry_rock

ry_rock Senior Member

It all depends on how hard and long you want to work, every snowfall is different. Last season I serviced 43 driveways with 1 truck, blower, shovels and myself and my partner, some days were long and hard others were a breeze, I would aim to get more customers......best of luck!!!

4. TheGoodGrandson

TheGoodGrandson Junior Member

Thanks guys. I think I will look for a minimum of 15 and a max of 25 for the first year. I think I will also charge near $40 for most houses out there.