1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Residential salting question?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by SilverBulletSS, Nov 10, 2011.

1. SilverBulletSS

SilverBulletSS Junior Member

Just a quick question guys, when handling residential contracts how do you charge to salt the driveway/walkway. Do you flat rate it, or use the $ by pound? Only reason I ask is all the times I went out for my cousin they were to commercial lots, plus I never was curious until now since I have my own truck. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

James

2. SilverBulletSS

44 views and nothing... I was told this was the best place to come for a new guy starting out.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Regular driveway about 4 hand fulls of salt. 5-10 bucks,are you billing them extra for it or are they requesting it each time?

4. SilverBulletSS

Thanks so much for responding grandview, at this point we haven't had any snow yet, I'm sure customers will request it. As i stated the few times i ran my cousins truck it was for small commercial lots.

I was thinking I'd charge an extra $15-$20 to throw down some salt. Does that seem fair?

Edit: These driveways are on the larger side, you could comfortably fit 4 1/2 ton trucks in them.

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Best get it in writing from each customer,don't need to list how much your putting down,just the agreed upon price.Most people are cheap about it though.

6. SilverBulletSS

Awesome thanks for the tips, I was actually thinking of adding to their bills if they requested it. Salting would incur an extra charge of X amount of dollars..

I know my truck is an old pile of rust, but gotta start somewhere right!

7. mnlefty

mnlefty Senior Member

Out of 40-50 driveways I really only have one that requests salting. Short, straight, and steep 2 car driveway... if he didn't get salted he struggles to get up and in, and backing out and down can put him in the street in a heartbeat. It's kind of a beat up uneven asphalt drive so even on the best scrape he still slides on the little skim.

I do everything seasonal, so I charged about $10 x average trip, or around $160 for the season and salted every time out. Used maybe 3 bags for the season and had no more than an hour total into it after about 20 trips for the season. He was happy and I know I made money on it.

Edit to add: I just used the cheap handheld spreaders, kept it in the bed of the toolcat and put salt in a 5-gallon bucket with a lid... 2-3 spreaders worth per time and tossed an extra handful across the top by the garage door. $10 bucks per time would be plenty for me... maybe a dollar's worth of salt and 2 minutes.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  8. Red02F250

Red02F250 Senior Member

Thanks for posing the question and for all the answers. This is the first season that I'll be salting with my own equipment and I've never had anything to do with calculating payment for salting. Thanks for the tips!

9. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

I would say flat rate. I dont know how you could measure per pound unless you were doing it by hand out of a bag

10. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

i just add $10.00 to the price of the driveway, 100 feet and under.
    i have one driveway thats 750 feet i charge $125 to plow and 50 to salt. he wants it every time.

11. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

We apply to about half our residentials. We charge by weight or volume. There are too many variables to flat rate it. An experienced operator knows approximately how much they are applying. Most of our drives are long enough to use 100-200lbs.

12. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

If you can estimate how much you put down. How can you not estimate how much you will put down?

13. ShorePower

ShorePower Senior Member

I charge $5 per walkway, $15 per driveway. Walkway typically uses 2 coffee cans of ice melt. Driveway maybe 25lbs. I add it to the contract. They check it off if they want done. I find it adds a few hundred dollars to the driveway route. Only using a few bags of rock salt and 1 or 2 Calcium for walkways.