1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

residential route management

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Gr8WhiteNorth, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Gr8WhiteNorth

Gr8WhiteNorth Senior Member

I'm trying to clean up my residential routes and make them a little more efficient to offset some of the fuel increases. Any thoughts on how to market towards one specific area other than mailouts and referral incentives?

Also, another few q's to chew on:
    -any ideas on how to increase efficiency in general?
    -how many residential driveways w/ walk and steps should I have on a route with 2-3 men?
    -i thought buying a straight boss plow would be good for a driveway crew to speed up the route during a big storm. Turns out I have to send a bobcat after anyway because the plow doesn't scrape to the bare pavement when back-blading. any other suggestions?

2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

yes alot of sugestions

3. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

fist your plow isnt going to a good job if you dont know how to use it..... you need to plow TOWARDS the door, then stop , raise it up...creep forward 4 feet, and drop the blade, and pull the snow back...repeat the process.... dont drive over the snow you are going to plow, ur packing it down, and this is why ur not scraping..... if you are scrapping with a bobcat - i hope your not destroying the drives doing it?

look into a back drack edge..they help , and arnt alot of money

look in to a snow way plow, with down pressure - toby im sure will chim in to tell you more

even with the snow way , if your doing alot of drives... a rear plow... is by fare the best that you can do , and they dont cost much, considereing there use.... i LOVE my daniels.... simple, small, and effectice, nothing fancy, and can still lift snow blowers over it

2 guys on a crew in most cases, otherwise, it becomes alot of sitting around time... if anything... 1/2 way through the route... switch guys to keep productivity high....fresh bodies

routing? i just pu them on mapquest and go in order.....i dont care when ppl have to "get out" ...i have news...they can all Get out in most cases.... if you hvae more than 4 inches, you should have already plowed them atleast once anyway.......

they dont pay enough money to have a headace, or time restictions, on who goes first, and be driving accross town...if they want that kind of service , they need to sign up lik ea commercial , with a 1 hr min charge ($125 seems fair)

the rear plow is the best tool by fare... if i had it my way and only did drives... i would have the rear plow, snow way DP, and a back drag edge

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  4. Neige

Neige Sponsor

If you are sending a bobcat around after, that must mean your drives are close together.
    How many driveways are we talking, in how many sq. km.

5. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

I think the best piece of equipment for Resi's are : http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=63605

Thats where efficiency comes into play! I used to plow residential drives, & there would be a tractor like that doing a ratio of like 4:1 driveways compared to a plow truck. Now yes a plow truck gets the job done:nod:, but just takes a lil longer.