1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Residential Removal Estimate Help

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by MJLsLawnCareNmo, Dec 2, 2007.

1. MJLsLawnCareNmo

MJLsLawnCareNmo Senior Member

Need help coming up with a price for what it would cost to perform snow removal for this property (see pics, 11x). This is my first year doing any form of snow removal, so I'm using this house as an example to help base all other properties off of so please be as accurate as possible. I want to be competitive with others, but also make decent money. I'd only hurt this industry if I ended up charging too little and I'd only be hurting my business by charging too much. That is why I'm asking the professionals who have been doing this long enough to know what the cost should be.

Need an idea on what to charge regardless of the amount of snow, the condition of the snow (wet/fluffy), or the equipment used, just as long as it's removed like it is in the pictures. So what would YOU charge to do snow removal for this property? Also, about what would you charge for deicing with basic rock salt?

Snow Removal 001.jpg

Snow Removal 002.jpg

Snow Removal 004.jpg

Snow Removal 005.jpg

Snow Removal 006.jpg

2. MJLsLawnCareNmo

2nd set of pictures. Sorry about the size, too late to change the camera settings to make the file size smaller. :cry:

Snow Removal 007.jpg

Snow Removal 008.jpg

Snow Removal 009.jpg

Snow Removal 010.jpg

Snow Removal 011.jpg

3. MJLsLawnCareNmo

Last picture for this property. wesport

Snow Removal 012.jpg

4. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Snow removal as in loading it up in a dump truck and haulling it away, or as in blowing/plowing it into piles?

5. PlowOrDie

PlowOrDie Senior Member
    from ohio

are you looking for a seasonal price or a per push price?

do you have to shovel all of the sidewalks?

salt needed?

these are just some of the questions you need to find out

6. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

somebody went nuts tell them if they want it that clean to rip it up and put heated pipes in the ground. well just to plow it would be say $25 drive and front walk to the door. then the sidewalk is more and then back porch is more and then salt 18 or 20 buck per 50lbs spread?

7. MJLsLawnCareNmo

Were you being serious?:confused: If you were I was referring to blowing/plowint or whatever method but the snow stays on site.

8. MJLsLawnCareNmo

Well being that I'm new at this, how about both? What woud your per push price be and what would the seasonal price be?

As far as the walk, doesn't really matter just trying to get an idea of what to it would cost to remove it. Nothing permanent just need a good starting point to reference off of. Again even if you said a price for both that would help greatly

For salt, just trying to get an idea of what it would cost to use basic rock salt to deice this property. Not that it needs it but another idea for if I need to factor in salt when estimating.

I realize it's not going to be a dead on guess as there are a lot of variables, just need to get a rough idea of what it should cost to do this so I can start to properly price properties. So the more prices I can get with details the better. Thanks for any and all help.

9. MJLsLawnCareNmo

Very clean I agree, but it gives me a really good idea of what this kind of work is worth. By knowing this I can adjust if from there.

Thanks for the reply. So $25 for the drive and front walk. How much for everything just how it is in the pic? The more specific you can be the better. Also $18-20 for 50lbs of salt, but how much salt do you think it would take to salt everything that is cleared?

10. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

Yes he was being serious. Generally snow removal means moving the snow off the site. That is usually done in malls or places with limited parking, not residential. Snow plowing is pushing the snow off the drive/lot. So you have to be careful how you word a contract or advertisement. I am not from your area so I cannot give you specific pricing.

11. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I'd charge more like $40-45 for that drive, and the walk to the door. I'd probably charge $5 more for the front walk, and $10 more if the deck needed to be shoveled. So, I'd probably be around $50-$60 for all that work. It would take a while, believe me, we just had 6 inches of slop, and it was terrible! Are you planning on plowing or snowblowing? My price would be a little lower for snowblowing. Good luck to you!

12. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

no less than $80.00 if they want the back patio done too and only with a seasonal agreement.

13. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Yeah I was serious.

For just the plowing and the front walk I would be around $40-50 depending how I was feeling when I quoted, and if there were others nearby. If the back walk was only 20-30 ft I would include it free.

BUT that backwalk being so long, +$5/10 (depending on where I was on the original price).
    And that Patio, well +$15.

Salting for just the driveway- $15
    Salting for all the sidewalks and patio +$5
    (I would use around 50 lbs salt imo)

So all said and done--- $70-80.

That would take 15-20 minutes with 2 ppl. One starting on blowing while other pulls out the driveway. Then they shovel steps, and up by garage door. Then they salt. They should finish up about the same time.

So your at 1/2 - 2/3rds man hours on site, plus face time and windshield time. What are you shooting for an hour?

This is what I would priced it based on what it is worth for me to do it. I have no idea if it is high or low in my area, as I am new also. But I am doing my pricing based on what I need to make, and figure everything at $125/man hour. It seems to work for me, I started today with 1 contract, and finished today with 7.

This would be for contracted seasonal at 2" or 4" trigger

If they contracted "after the storm service" it would be that price up to 6" or 150% if over 6 inches.

I have put that in all my "after the storm service" contracts and everyone has said it is fair so far. (all 2 of them, lol)

Good Luck, Let it Snowpayup

14. MJLsLawnCareNmo

Hmmm, learn something new everyday :nod: I have never heard or even thought that snow was ever actually removed from a site. Especially a mall! You'd need semi trucks to haul all that away! Thanks for the info. I guess I will have to watch how I word my advertising.

I know you're not from my area, but anything helps. I can always adjust a price to take into account the difference in location. This is my first year and have absolutely no idea on what the cost should be. With that being said if this property was in your area, what would YOU charge to remove the snow in this fashion?

15. MJLsLawnCareNmo

Thanks Brant's Lawn Care! Good luck to you too. This reply was really helpful. For now I'm only snow blowing and shoveling. Still working on getting a plow truck ready. Only question I have is the $50-60 for all the work include the sidewalk on the side and the small porch on the side of the house? Also how much salt do you think it would take to salt everything too?

16. MJLsLawnCareNmo

Does that include salt or no? Thanks for the reply!

17. MJLsLawnCareNmo

Image, Thanks for the reply. This is one great reply and helps a ton.

Sorry, I seriously never heard or thought of actually removing the snow from the site. :blush2: Perhaps I should word things in my advertising and contracts as "snow clearing".

As for what I'm looking for per hour, I'm not exactly sure yet. New to this whole industry so trying to establish an hourly rate right now is nothing short of a guess. Figuring out my costs is one thing, but making profit and being competitive is another. It's posts like this that help me establish a more accurate price.

Thanks again and good luck too!

18. nekos

nekos Senior Member

here N of Chicago that would be $45 for the drive way and if i had to shovel ... another $30.

do your self a favor and subcontract for a larger snow removal company . you will make the same amount of money ( or more ) with the added bonus of never having to get out of your truck , deal with paper work , get called at 6AM by a customer complaining about a snow booger left on their driveway , advertising , freaking out when your truck breaks down , non payers , other driveway warriors low balling you or having to go out while your deathly ill .

the only driveway i do now days is my own and i call out the shovel crew to do my walk way .
    man my job is tough ! :D

19. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Hey Mike. Well, first for snowblowing, I would probably charge about $10 less than plowing. No that would not be included in that price, I'd probably like to get $10-$20 more for that. I didn't see those pics at first, and it looks pretty long. And then I'd charge about $15, give or take, to salt it all. That whole property would probably take anywhere from half to a whole 50# bag of salt. Especially if the patio needed to be salted too. So, on the low side with plowing, salting and snowblowing/shoveling, I'd be at around $85 each time for everything. It may sound high, but that job will take a while, and there is a lot of shoveling to do. Now, if they just wanted the driveway, front sidewalk and walkway to house, plowed and salted, It would be around $60 each time. If you have any other questions just ask. You can PM me too with any questions.

20. MJLsLawnCareNmo

Haha :D. I might consider doing that after a while. I kinda just want to give it a try for a while and see where it goes. I can always subcontract some and do some too.

Thanks for the reply on the prices though. Question though, about if you had to shovel it'd be another $30. Did you mean if you had to shovel the drive or did you mean $45 to plow the driveway and $30 to shovel everything else?

Also any input on how much to salt everything and how much salt it would take to do this, or do you pretty much agree with what has already been posted?