1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Residential Plowing

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by wbalderaz, Dec 23, 2003.

1. wbalderaz

wbalderaz Junior Member
    from 43044

I have a 500 ft gravel drive in rural central ohio. We don't often get a lot of snow, but when we do, I need a reliable system of clearing the drive.

I have access to a 5HP Craftsman snow thrower. I also have a 12.5 HP lawn tractor (no snow blade) and a 4WD 96 tacoma (again, no blade). What is my best option. I don't have $$ to spend on a serious plow. I did find a "residential" plow for $500 at

or just try http://www.countryhomeproducts.com

My suspicion is that this is junk. At the same time, I will probably only need to plow 4-5 times a winter, so maybe it could get me by? Any advice is much appreciated.
  2. badranman

badranman Senior Member

I would say forget the snowthrower on the gravel unless you want to dodge rocks and beat the thing into the ground. Most lawn tractors I've seen get stuck pretty easy unless it's only 1-2 inches. How about a used name brand?
  3. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

I think your suspicion is correct. Looks like a real waste of $400 to me. If you will only need to plow 4-5 times a year why not hire someone to do it. $30X5=$150 per year. I don't think that you would get two years out of that silly $400 plow and with someone else doing it you could stay in where it is warm. People up here buy those $1000 snow blowers and then a few years later sell them for $300. I don't know why they don't just hire someone to remove the snow but then like I am one to talk with my old plow for my little driveway.
  4. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

a 500' drive will be a little more then $30 more like $100 so $100x5 a year = your budget
  5. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

Whoops. I thought most people on here were saying they charge around $30 for residential drives. That must be the 30' driveways.
  6. kyot

kyot Junior Member

$100 for a driveway? Where do you live? I'm coming down!!

Second thought, I need a clear conscience to sleep at night.
  7. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Lowballers will do a 500ft. drive for $30.00.:gunsfiring:
  8. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member
    from Maine

If it's straight and flat, $100 seems high to me (but $30 is too low). If it has hills and curves, then it's gonna take longer, and the contractor should be properly compensated.

9. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

How about a Homesteader. Whatever you do though don't mention a sno-bear they apparently are not built with the slightest amount of quality or toughness.