1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Residential plowing with SUV

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Indianfallsfire, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Indianfallsfire

Indianfallsfire Junior Member

Hello everyone

I am looking for your thoughts on this I was hired by a local landscape company to do snow plowing this winter.

Job details:
    all residential in a suburb of Buffalo NY
    take home truck
    3 in trigger
    15.00 per hour
    all there equipment, gas, repairs etc.
    only down side is with any plowing on call 24/7

met with owner and was happy with company and everything sounds great going to pick up the truck and get definite route on monday.

today I spoke with owner to set up to meet monday to get truck and he mentioned he is prolly going to give me a Chevy Tahoe to plow with...

Now I have done plowing before both commercial and residential but only with a reg cab pick up so I was kinda surprised when he said that so I am looking for your thoughts on plowing commercially with a SUV and any tips you got for me is SUV's better or worse to plow with?
  2. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

biggest thing is visibility. May need a small aux. fan or two especially if you go with the storm and falling or blowing snow cools the windows and fogs them up. This is worse in an SUV because of the interior space to air movement ratio. Other than that, SUV's work well because they are short wheelbase and get good traction (in my opinion)
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  3. Plow Babe

Plow Babe Senior Member

SUVs are great for driveways. Smaller, tighter turning radius. We've used them for years - Bronco, Blazer, Durango, Expedition. I've plowed in all of them, as well as full-size 3/4-ton pickups. They all have their place, but I love the smaller rigs for residential. My guess is that you will love the Tahoe once you try it.
  4. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Hopefully its a 2dr, That will make it nice if they are smaller driveways.
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

first you said "just resi drives" and then you say "comercially"
    The SUV is great for drives but bigger commercials may be a problem
  6. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

If he is getting paid for plowing resi, he is a commercial plower.
  7. Indianfallsfire

Thank you everyone for your input so far I am glad that everyone finds using SUV for residential easier now I cant wait to try it out.

to HYDRO_37 sorry to confuse you what THEPLOWMEISTER is exactly right I ment commercially cause I am being paid but only plowing residential drives in a suburb setting.
  8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

hope you have a good winter
  9. Indianfallsfire

thanks hydro same to you