1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Residential Plowing Pricing?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by DSLND, May 22, 2006.

1. DSLND

DSLND Senior Member

Hey Guys, i am wanting to get some residential plowing accounts in my neighborhood this winter but dont know what to charge. I know some charge by the hour but i know its not always going to be the same. What are u guys charging? I am 13 years old and own my own lawn care business "Dream Cut Lawn Care" I own almost all commerical equipment made up of Toro and STIHL Products and am doing lots of landscaping work. I will be plowing with my Craftsman 22.5hp Garden Tractor with 48in Plow, Tire Chains, and Wheel Weights and am hoping to get a cab and install a 12v and get a Strobe light this season. -Mitch-

2. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Well thats what I started out with other than it was a John Deere 214.

First go find yourself some carlie farm tractor tires. Because if you spin with the chains, you will find yourself seal coating someones driveway. (don't ask why I know that)

Forget the cab. Unless you got a heater in it, it just fogs up. I plowed for 7 years with open cab tractors. 8th year using a tractor and now it has a cab. And guess what, I don't even use it, one of my employees does.

I would recomment finding yourself a little heavier built tractor. A JD 314-322 from 1976 to 1992. They are the heaviers duty garden tractors built. You can pick one up for $1000. Or find a 4x4 kubota tractor with a plow. Which if you look hard enough you could find for $3000.

3. DSLND

DSLND Senior Member

Thanks! What i really want is a john deere 316 - 20 bc my old partner had one and it was sweet or even a 420 but we'll see. I gots lots of time to think about it. I need to get some of those tires i really like them. What About Pricing? Thanks -Mitch-

4. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

farm equipment

Can't you run farm equipment in your state on the roads at your age?

If so, spend the $1000 or a bit more and get you an old jeep with a plow.

Run a farm tag as your plate, then you can do your services-

or am I just dreaming here, could you do this?

5. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I am pretty sure you can't do that in any state... I know, I tried. Technically you need to be of legal age to drive anything on the road. i know to drive an ATV across a road you need to be 16 here. Only in MA!!! You need to have a license to drive anything with a license plate. Your best bet would be a heavier tractor, eventhough my 16 HP Deere worked great for me for my first two years. I plowed four driveway with it for two complete seasons. It did very well. I blew the tranny out of it though, but that was just because I was being stupid. Just go easy and plow with the storm and you'll be fine!

Last edited: May 25, 2006
  6. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I charge $25-$30 for regular 16'x 40-50' drives. It takes me 5 minutes or less with my truck and plow....

Derek

7. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

your going to be a wealthy person some day, with your work ethic at 13. good job!

8. DSLND

DSLND Senior Member

Thanks! I sure hope to be.

9. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

lol yeah what he said above, cabs even soft ones need to be heated, well at that.
    do you use the craftsman as a lawnmower too? id sell that to get a nice grade/quality snow thrower, can do much better, put it this way, you cant use chains on other peoples driveways, theyll ***** no matter what of the marks.

www.simplicitymfg.com look at their snow throwers, get the largest you can. I do driveways mostly in developments, when its snows 12-20" , or big snows you can make $35-70 a driveway/sidewalk depending on conditions. the tractor will take too long for anything small, and when it snows a lot you wont make much per hour b/c youll fight the weight of heavy snow all day for one driveway.

I would only plow with a tractor if it was like a Simplicity 4x4 legacy xl or JD 4x4 X585 or something heavy like 1000+lbs.

I plan in a few years to get a enclosed JD 3370 maybe instead of the open i was previously considering, with tons of heat and AC, i can do some big jobs summer and winter, at 32k+ attachments, theyre not cheap but they work and last a long time, by then ill have some large snow commercial accounts and can put it to work 24/7 every snow. Of course it would be me, my father or my brother using it, not risking a machine or liability like that with some person for $10hr.

10. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

oh yeah, for older tractors, as meantioned above, some of the older JDs run good and the simplicity baron/solverign models are pretty tough, my father has one he bought used years ago, its like a 78ish model? was a single cylinder 16hp that ran on leaded gas, well its 13ish hp on unleaded but ran like a tank, not a TON of HP, but torquey and muscled well with 2wd and a blow, theyre about 1k usually with that age. Id suggest a good weight box of some sort rigged up on the back, im only 170ish lbs and it would slip quick, was a 800ish lb tractor but with an extra 200-300lbs on the arse end, it would muscle through pretty high snow. make sure its hydro theyre awesome.

11. DSLND

DSLND Senior Member

Thanks For The Reply! No i have a Toro ZTR for mowing the craftsman pulls the trailer to neighborhood lawn care jobs and putting t and pulling the trailer in and out of the garage and i use it to plow. I have a toro snowblower but i need a tractor alot of the drives i will be doing are rock and gravel (we live out in the country) so i would proboably break something or someone could get hurt. Im not sure bout the cab, i might give it a try but i also am going to get a construction light for the top or single strobe (cant find any?) but we'll see. Heres A Pic Of My Mowing Rig.

Rig.JPG

12. DSLND

DSLND Senior Member

Also i was messing with prices, i was thinking about $40.00/Hourly seeing the will most take between 1 & 2 Hours depending on snow? Thanks -Mitch-

13. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

It depends on how long the driveway would be. Just because it takes you 2 hours because you have smaller equipment doesn't mean that the owner is going to want to pay you more. I ran into this problem when I was using a tractor. I got paid like $45 and it took me 1.5 hours to do a driveway. An owner will not pay you $80 for something they can higher a truck with a plow for $40.

14. DSLND

DSLND Senior Member

Well were scheduled for about 13" of snow in the next 48 hours and IM READY!

000_0855.JPG

15. DSLND

DSLND Senior Member

The Whole Rig!

000_0856.JPG

16. DSLND

DSLND Senior Member

Last One! The Craftsman!!!

000_0861.JPG

17. WALKERS

WALKERS PlowSite.com Addict

payup Go get it. Looks like you have a good handle on your future snow removal.
    We charge no less than $35.00 here and thats just the driveway, no salt or sidewalks.
    Good luck Young Man.:salute:

18. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Minimum of $30.00 a push here.

19. DSLND

DSLND Senior Member

Thanks Guys! I just got in from plowing, we ended up getting 1.5 ft and it was a mess! -Mitch-

20. rayf268

rayf268 Senior Member

how did it all work out for you .