1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Residential plowing prices

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NickSnow&Mow, Jul 18, 2014.

1. NickSnow&Mow

NickSnow&Mow Senior Member

Hey guys, i do a lot of residential plowing(4 car drives) with my jd 3032E. I think i have my prices figured out but im wondering if im charging in the righ area. My prices are per time $20(no shovel) $30 (with shovel). Seasonal prices are $290 (no shovel) $370 (with shovel). If you think those are off please let me know Thanks, Nick

2. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Are you making money, after deducting everything you can think of- from tire replacement costs, to oil, to fuel, to blade cutting edges- and 10% of that number for the stuff you are forgetting?
    The goal is profit, not just getting by... Only you know your costs.

3. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

No not enough, do you have a cab on your deere in the dead of winter with no cab not nearly enough.

4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

You are about $100 low for my area but every area is different.

5. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

You are low for my area, way low!

6. NickSnow&Mow

I do not have a cab and its still a 25000$ machine! Im 14 not 40 by the way i dont need a cab yet

7. NickSnow&Mow

By very low do you mean like $100 or $200? Where are you from? Thanks for the input guys

8. NickSnow&Mow

yes sir. I pay 30% of all profits to my dad for fuel equipment and break downs. So im definetly making money but he hasnt yet.

9. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

No. Your not making money. Your "leasing" or "borrowing" equipment from someone else. He's not not making money but you are. So let's say you break the rear end, yea you made money but who's gunna pay for the repair? And what's gunna happen to your accounts? And what if it dosent get fixed in time for your dad to use it in the summer?
    In the end on paper did everyone involved make money?

10. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

Fair enough, as a teen I remember being tougher than Mother Nature time has worn me down a touch. Kudos to you for being out there,as Cet pointed out you are low by at least 100 on your pricing do not sell your self short. There is a fellow in my area would was selling seasonal last fall for about 150 word gets back to me his wife is mad he lost money I did driveways 21 times last winter, you can do the math. Are you sick of mowing yet?

11. NickSnow&Mow

You guys have the experience ill go up atleast $75 i still wantto be the cheapest guy in town. And yes i am kinda sick of mowing already! I have 15 avg size yards everyweek and 5 of them have to be done with a pushmower. Snow is more fun IMO! Thanks for your advice

12. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

Maybe not my business but why be the cheapest guy in town? Be the most reliable guy in town, be the safest guy in town and charge to make a profit. I am not for everyone and have no intention of being so, leave the cheap asses for the other guy along with the whiners.

13. NickSnow&Mow

well last year i did but he lost my because the small tractors tranney ($1800). He knows he will probably never make his invested money back but im glad hes supporting me. I am allowed to apply for a government grant of $3000 when im 15(in the spring). I will most likely give him that and "buy out" the fronteir 64" snowblower we just split $2550
    Then at least he will be closer to breaking even. If the repair was massive like $4000 i would pay for some of it but usually hes got it. By the way im not a spoiled rich kid he only spends this much on equipment. Thanks

14. NickSnow&Mow

well ive only been around for 2 years and it was just an idea. Other than this and school i dont have much going on in the winter so i enjoy going around salting and cleaning up after a storm late at night. I have also helped people fix there snowblowers and clear the plow furrow in my rich end of town for free so people love me. Maybe i should be charging as much as the big guys? I do just as good of a job.

15. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

I understand the confidence issue starting out, if you are doing a good job in a professional fashion charge as a pro would. Answer this for your self am I trying to build a property service business or am I filling up my free time? What do you want for the future as I have heard and agree with the best way to predict the future is to create it.
    Got to go this is getting into fishing time.

16. NickSnow&Mow

I go fishing a lot too haha. And yes i am try to build a legit landscape/snow removal business. I am young but im also thinking about the future

17. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Good. But braking even dosent cut it. And being the cheapest don't mean its the best. That's how you over extend yourself and can't make it

18. NickSnow&Mow

Agreed i made money last year my invester didnt. He did the first year though. That will change this year. Could you give me what you think i should be charging season shovel, season no shovel, per time shovel and per time no shovel? Thanks a lot

19. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

That is Not a Mantra you wanna live by......:help:

I know your 14 and I give you a lot of credit for your Work Ethic and attitude....But....Do youself a Big favor and a Favor to the Local contractors in your area.....Get yourself some basic business books and start by studing those....

There is a Book by John Allin....Managing Snow and Ice....Pick yourself up a copy of that...It has some good basic information that would be helpful to you....

20. NickSnow&Mow

Good advice im going to charge more. You are my heros