1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Residential Plowing by Season or by the Push?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Jays Green Daze, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Jays Green Daze

Jays Green Daze Member
    from MI

Okay so last year I charged by the push average $25 for a normal 2 car driveway/walk activated usually when 2 or more inches fell. This year I was thinking that I would charge $250 for 12 plows which is like giving the homeowner 2 free for paying upfront. I was thinking of doing it this way because I need the money to invest in a new spreader and blower. Has anyone ran into any problems doing it like this?

2. Chieftkp

Chieftkp Junior Member

I do about 100 driveways and last year I tried to get some of them on seasonal pricing. Less than 10 customers took me up on it. The price for the year was between $300-400. I just collected the money by Nov 1st and took care of them for the season. I am actually glad I didn't get more takers because with 16 events or something like that the average charge was over $550 per drive. The contracts just give you some insurance.

3. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

Watch for Neige. That man is the master. Some might say he lowballs but I believe he gets the job done.

1% of a 100 is better than 100% of 1wesport

I'm still at 100% of 1.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  4. lumps

lumps Senior Member

I'm not doing any per push contracts this year. Too much of a headache. The billing is a pain, but the worst part is not knowing when to plow. Say you have a 2" trigger, and you get 1.5" of snow. If you plow, half your customers will ***** 'cause they don't feel they should pay it because it wasn't enough to plow. If you don't, the other half will ***** that you didn't come plow them. I like seasonal, then I just go when I feel it needs it, drives are kept clean, and everyone's happy.

5. nightandday

nightandday Junior Member

seasonal thoughts

I have in the past and still offered a seasonal price to customers. Most residential driveways are around $55 not including Ice control. we dont see an average number of events in NJ so I offer $500.0 seasonal reguardless of weather it snows 1 inch or 100 inches that season. For billing purposes it works out much better, one year one bill. you will loose eventually out here but the words I hear from my clients is ( at least I know what snow removal is going to cost this year. I hate to get a surprise $350 bill in Dec). Just another option.:nod:

6. Jays Green Daze

Jays Green Daze Member
    from MI

Lumps, how do you setup your seasonals accounts, just a flat rate for plowing and another flat rate for salt/walkways?

7. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

Exactly! If I can't sleep and I'm out and about on seasonal, no one complains that it shouldn't have been done. Some places are drifted in and others are not, even when it doesn't snow. I check them all every day anyway so why not drop the plow while I'm there. Salt is extra!! Call me

8. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

We do mostly residential snow plowing. We have always done per push. It's really not that difficult to send out one bill a month. We use a 1" trigger, that's pretty clearcut 95% of the time. I've never wanted to risk getting a lump sum up front and then get a record snowfall year.
    2 years ago we had the most snowfall for a season that we've ever had in Madison.
    Last year we broke the record for December.
    It's events like that that will put you out of business if your giving a seasonal price.
    Maybe it's best to do some of both. Personally, if I knew I was over on snowfall and had to keep going out to plow these accounts, I might do physical harm to myself or someone else!!

9. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

I found it front heavy myself. I was still getting paid in April for doing next to nothing though.

10. WIPensFan

I understand that would be the case for some people, but around here most people will not pay for snow removal in April.
    That's always everyone's hope is to get paid to do nothing!

11. lumps

lumps Senior Member

Yeah, I add to it if they want their walk done (unless it's one of those little 5' walks, I usually just do those). Never had a residential request salt, they always do it themselves if they want it done at all.

And I don't think anyone around here gets a 1" trigger on residential stuff, haha. My average is 3" triggers on those.

12. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

A trigger around here is a bullet down a barrel:help:

13. dan6399

dan6399 Member

Sounds good but either way you still have only one.:nod:

14. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

I know but it is a start. 20 some odd years doing the work but only 3 years doing the business throughout the supposed recession. I'm growing not near as well as I had originally thought, but I'm growing:waving:

15. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

What does that mean?

Just do it per push and quit trying to make money off of nothing. Someone always gets screwed in paid up front seasonals.

16. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

How do you figure? :confused:

17. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Well if it snows alot you lose money and if it doesn't snow at all the customer loses money.

18. cretebaby

You should tell Neige that.

That poor guy must be losing his a$$ plowing 2800 drives, all seasonal.

19. WIPensFan

Someone please explain Neige's situation. It sounds quite different than most of us. When we are discussing a "How To" business plan we need to compare apples to apples. Neige sounds like he's an orange.

20. cretebaby

I think the only difference is volume and that seasonals are the "norm" there.

http://www.plowsite.com/search.php?searchid=1418032

Neige has spelled it out pretty well and if you have a question he will answer it.