1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Residential Plowing at Night

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jjklongisland, Dec 18, 2009.

1. jjklongisland

jjklongisland Senior Member

Question for the fellas that plow driveways...

This season I have signed up alot of residential accounts. Contract stated overnight storms will have snow cleared by 8 AM when possible. This obviously means plowing and snowblowing residences in the middle of the night. Has anyone encountered any problems doing this. Not really caring about nighttime noise ordinances just curious about neighbors etc. I have plowed commercially for years always over night and never an issue. Just curious with these new residential accounts. I am never home when it snows to see if any of my neighbors have there driveways cleared overnight...

2. Most of my work is residential plowing. I've done it with my blade and a snow blower. Never has anyone ever complained.

3. jjklongisland

Thats what I thought. thanks

4. T&M SnowMan

T&M SnowMan Senior Member

Funny story...a customer I have called and told me that when I plowed her driveway one day early (5am or so) that it woke up her neighbor, and she asked if I could just come later, I said sure, we can put you on the end of the list so we are there later, (we will be here roughly 2hrs later on any given storm, she's smack in the middle of my route)..I told her so much, she said well how will I get to work? I said what's more important...getting to work or your neighbor?...so needless to say she saw my logic, continued as usual and the damn neighbor next store ended up askin me to do his driveway the same day!!!that SOB..haha..he wouldn't pay the $30 to do it..too cheap...so I watched him shovel while I did my customers driveway..that was last season...only problem I've ever had...!!

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I plow early in the morning and never had a complaint

6. bigearl

bigearl Senior Member

Your job is to take care of your customer and if the neighbor complain then deal with the pron=blem in a diplomatic fashion, and if that doesnt work push all the snow into the complainers driveway.

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Never had anyone complain about plowing overnight. I don't run excessive lights, and have nice quiet stock exhaust.

8. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

Never had a complaint, also I advise them that I could be there at 3am, and yes the snow plower or the truck will be running, just to notify neighbors, Never had a problem in past ten years.

9. T&M SnowMan

Just to clarify...I have stock exhaust, turn off strobes, don't slam into $h!t....it was the dropping of the plow that he said woke him....and my hydraulics are set so the blade doesn't slam....just a complainer...never happy type of guy..that's why I thought you guys would find some humor in it

10. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

Not to hy-jack a thread, but I have a Fisher MM2 Insta act, how do I get it so it just doe snot "let go" so to say and slam the ground? But a slow release

11. T&M SnowMan

There's an adjustment screw on the front of your motor/resevoir...tighten for slower release

12. cpsnowremoval

cpsnowremoval Senior Member

neighbors love it when i show up with the old ford with straight pipes

13. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Plow and go. Nothing different then that one neighbor who gets up at 3am and snowblows the who neighborhood.

14. jjklongisland

Cool, thanks guys... Let it snow baby...

15. T&M SnowMan

I did collect a late check last week (from last season) by plowing down the driveway of a customer and leaving the snow in front of the truck while I waited for my check..lol...and then he asked to be added back to the customer list..lol..after payment I finished, but otherwise would have had quite the mess...pay your bills people!!!!

16. palmtree907

palmtree907 Member

i generally try not to plow between midnite and 4 am to keep the peace. My contract states that their property will be plowed within 6 hours of snow fall ENDING. Not everyone is gonna be first, and they all understand that. Also,around here people are used to going to work in the snow and coming home to driveway being done if its an overnight storm. No complaints as of yet :)

17. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

we don't start our removal until about 5-6am, we get all our "high priority" commercial contracts done first, then we start on residential, usually have all the working stiffs done by late morning, and then it is retiree's that know they are last on the list and don't mind because they get a great rate, also our condos REQUIRE us not to start earllier then 8am

18. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Same here by me.

19. MattR

MattR Senior Member

If they cannot get to work, they cannot pay the bills especially the plow bill (most important one..lol). I have a customer request that if it snows in the PM and stops around 2am, to have them plowed out by 4am so they can get to work.

Matt

20. T&M SnowMan

around here (and I kind of figured it would be everywhere)that they are able to get out of their driveways for the morning commute, and in their driveways by the afternoon commute. Aside from the one crazy neighbor I mentioned in a previous post, this has never been complained about, and to this day still not complained about by a paying customer. So our start time on a storm depends on time of storm start/finish, and estimated snow totals for storm. We plow with the storm, no waiting around unless its like a 2" or 3" storm, maybe 4". Then its wait for finish and go drop the blade. Otherwise usually start at 2" accumulation (customer requests) and the storm dictates how many rounds are made.