1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Residential Marketing

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by kolkie05, Aug 7, 2009.

1. kolkie05

kolkie05 Senior Member
    from Chicago

I've already been trying to land some new commercial accounts, but when do you feel is a good time to market residential?

My thought is homeowners are not thinking about snow yet. I was going to make up some door hangers and start passing them out but if were still getting 90's this weekend it might be a little early.:)

So what are your thoughts on a good time to market homeowners?
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You show have 75% of you residentials signed up by middle of Sept.
  3. larold83

larold83 Senior Member

so we should be already hitting the streets is that what your saying
  4. kolkie05

kolkie05 Senior Member
    from Chicago

I'd love to sign up accounts now just thinking people are not that concerned about snow yet.
  5. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

That will never happen around here. People don't call until the day before a storm! :dizzy: :confused: lol
  6. BrewCityTommy

BrewCityTommy Member

What to charge

This is my first year in the biz. and i just joined the forum yesterday. I have really wanted to be my own boss and get out of the near poverty level for income. I am willing to quit my $11/hour job- even though i have a ton of bills if it will make me more money. I just really need pricing help- especiall for the plowing. I only have 2 accounts for plowing- both commercial in an industrial park...both should be fairly simple, no piles needed (plenty of land-i hope), and neither place operates 24 hours, so the lot will be dead 8 hours a dead, so i can get it all before the next day. I got these because I'm friends with the co. owners father, and his father got me the other. The deal was I did a better job than last years guy, and that i give them a bit of a break for taking a chance on me. He even agreed to show me what he was paying so i could take a% off! Now I know he will save some $ but i think that was super nice of him to take a chance on me-knowing i dont have any experience, OK Sorry for the novel, heres my question.I have been seeing some outrageous quotes for salting! one was 3.24 per pund spread!!!can that be right!! it seems ridiculous considering i can get a pound of salt good to -35 deg. for 17 cents a pound! i would imagine salitng a lot would require min of 500# ! that would cost the cust. $1750 per appliccation! i must have read something wrong, right? Please help:dizzy:
  7. BrewCityTommy

BrewCityTommy Member

I believe i responded to your post about subbing-im from milwaukee and just want to make sure you know that Im intersted in subbing for you-i could sure use the experience and money. Also, I would imagine you have a fairly large business if you need a sub, and you must have done this for a while...i need pricing help and since we are both in the same area, i thought maybe you could give me some help!? please! I have read its a big no no to low ball, I will be seeing a contract sometime soon for one of my accounts, so i will have a ball park on commercial- but thats low quality commercial, the owner was very unhappy with the service- and i almost broke my neck last year-and on my birthday! For all i know, last years guy charged very cheap- and charged accordingly- im going to do a great job, no cut corners, and giving a slight discount- since we are friends to a degree, but I dont want lose out either- ive got a lot to pay off before i make any profit!! what is a ball park for res. with 9-12' X 45-65' drive, 50' city walk, and two small paths 3' X 12'...i plan on plowing drives and snow blowing the walks....ATAhanks for any input when you get a chance, also dont forget im interested in subbing 1st & 3rd shift for you names tom #
    e-mails tniceshot@aol.com. Thankspayup
  8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Word of advise for clarification - Commercial and "homeowner" are two different things.

Homeowner is termed "Residential"

Commercial is businesses like retail stores.

Industrial is business without storefronts (like warehouses).

There is also Municipal, which is government (streets, etc).

Each requires different levels of insurance and different levels of services and different problems.
  9. leon

leon Senior Member

snow etc.

some cities have programs which charge a flat fee to clear the homeowners side walk per year for the snow season.

that method of pricing would be a way to gain business.
  10. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Would that be in Ohio?