1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

residential ice control

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by rydzewski, Nov 26, 2008.

1. rydzewski

rydzewski Member

I am wondering if it's worth even putting salting on my contracts next year. I talked with my neighbors and none of there said they would be interested in paying extra for salting there drive ways. Anyone wanna put there two cents into residential salting? let me know what you think.

- ben

2. BGehl

BGehl Member

i offer salt to all my residential, no takers.

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Not a big demand for it here either. I do have a walk behind seeder I can throw some ice melt in if the customer wants it tho. If you want to put it in a contract you could say "salting if requested and an additional charge will be incured".

4. rydzewski

rydzewski Member

what do you charge in addition to plowing to lay some salt, 10-15 more?

5. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

What hydro said. The only time we ever salt or sand residentials is if we get a freezing rain storm and then it is only if they customers calls.

6. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

Never been a big seller for me.

7. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I put in the contract under the section of additional fee for salting. Sometimes they call and want it. I usually charge $20 per application. I have a few clients whos wives dont like it being slippery so I salt them. I use about 20 lbs and I am out. never hurts to throw it in so there is no confusion when the time arises when they see the charge on there bill....

8. rydzewski

rydzewski Member

i dont understand why people dont get it more often. if the mailman slips on ice on your drive way or walkway.... your screwed. atleast from what i hear.