1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Residential - How Much Do I Charge?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by VomwillemstadK9, Nov 6, 2010.

1. VomwillemstadK9

VomwillemstadK9 Junior Member

Hope you guys can help me out.

I have two houses on a long private road. The road is really beat up from run off. There are potholes that you can most likely lay in. I assume at one time it was just a shale and dirt road. It's somewhat steep. The road is 1 car width wide.

I have to start off at the driveway apron and work my way up to the trailer on the left. This house's driveway is about the width of one car from the road to right along in front the trailer.

Then I come back out at work my way up to the house on the right. This driveway is also the width of one car along with a parking area that is about 4 car widths by 3 car lenghts long.

I also have to clean out by the mailboxes which is off to the side of the driveway apron. This job is located in the Northern Catskills of New York State.

Sorry for the vague measurements and details. Thanks in advance!

My question is: How much should I charge to do this. Please give details.

[​IMG]

2. VomwillemstadK9

Nothing?

So far not one reply? I thought for sure that I would have had at least 10 replies complaining that I am a Noob and need to search.

But really, on a serious note. I really need some input on this.

3. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

charge them $5, What do you think it's worth. how much is your gas, Ins,maintence, travel, what you want to make on top for a profit so you can afford new stuff or buy more equipment!!!

4. VomwillemstadK9

Okay let me ask it this way then:

How much would you charge if you had to do this job?

5. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

So assuming you're new to plowing, and just bought a brand new plow, do you realy wanna put through hell going down a road that's beat up? I'd tell them no.
    How long is the road anyways.

6. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

looks like a $600 per occurrence job to me . another $25 per occurrence per mailbox.

7. VomwillemstadK9

I've been plowing for 5 years now and I was referred this job last year through another customer.

Here's the deal. I am now charging a total of $80 per storm up to 10". This price is split between the two houses on this road.

They had a $20 increase from last year. The lady on the left is all upset with the extra $10 that should would now have to pay.

The house at the right is happy and knows that this is a steal.

8. VomwillemstadK9

Can this be measured through any of the mapping software.

Before I started doing the road last year, one of the houses had someone come in and give them a quote for the road and it was $1200 for the season.

When I took this job, I gave the lady in the trailer a break because they said she was poor. But, as we all know. Good guys come in last.

9. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

We still haven't heard how long this private road is.

10. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

You can measure it with google earth, goisnow.com and measurefromoutterspace.com

11. VomwillemstadK9

Gonna try to do that now. Thank You.

12. VomwillemstadK9

It says that the road is 733 feet long. With both driveways: I would guess close to 1000 Feet.

13. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

I'm not plowing anything that is likely to tear up my equipment.

How long will it take you to plow that 10" of snow?
    How much will it cost you in time and money if you get stuck when you slide off this steep road?

I live in an area with lots of Amish farms that have 1/4 mile long driveways. They don't want it plowed 'til the storm is over. Here that may mean banging through a couple feet of snow, getting stuck, and tearing up equipment. I won't do it.

14. VomwillemstadK9

I told them that if they got 10" of snow, that I would be there 2-3 times and it would only be $80.

The reason for this thread is:

1: To see what others would get for a job like this.
    2: To show this lady what others have to say and what a deal she is really getting.

Thank You.

15. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

"I told them that if they got 10" of snow, that I would be there 2-3 times and it would only be $80."

No way!

16. eric02038

eric02038 Senior Member
    from MA

If you've been plowing for Five years and already have the account, what more do you want. If we say charge $100, are you going to back to them like a little ***** and ask for more money! Maybe you should have thought this through a little more before you take accounts for the sake of taking accounts

17. VomwillemstadK9

Thank you Sir.

18. VomwillemstadK9

I hear ya.

19. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

hey guys,

you want to give some helpful tips/advice then that's fine, however, there's no need to get nasty and attack the thread starter in the process...so, enough with the vulgar language and personal attacks

thanks

20. Andy96XLT

Andy96XLT Senior Member

Last year I did something similar to what you are doing but it was a very long steep driveway that went to 2 houses. total was approximately 1200 feet with both houses. I charged $70 per push, if we got 2 feet and I had to come by 3 times, it cost 210, and they paid it. and to be completely honest, I don't think I charged them enough.