1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Residential guys...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Buswell Forest, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

When and how do you contact your driveway customers to confirm service?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What do you mean? Don't they know your plowing them?

3. CowboysLC_DE

CowboysLC_DE Senior Member

Set a trigger and plow once the storm is over, unless you're going to get more then 8" or so. Most clients want you to plow if there's more then 2" in my area. Residential's are not first priority, unless they have a serious health issue. Because if the places the want to go aren't plowed first then they don't need to be plowed yet.

Recap, 2" trigger in the contract and after 8" or so you need to make two trips depending on the types of driveways you maintain.

Michael

4. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

It states in our contract residential plowing starts at 3". If it's less than the agreed trigger amount and they want done the customer has to request service

5. Buswell Forest

from NH

No, I mean contact them to confirm you will plow them again this season....things change, people die, divorce, sell, get new guys for $2 less.....So when do you and how do you?

6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Omg, you haven't done this yet

7. PremierSnowPlow

PremierSnowPlow Senior Member

I've had my contracts signed and 1st payment in since end of sept. You should probably send them out tomorrow, and hope that they haven't gone with someone else.

8. CowboysLC_DE

CowboysLC_DE Senior Member

Get your calls done this week. All of my driveways are lawn clients so they know that I'm still their contractor.

Michael

9. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

BF, are you pulling a bird on us?

I can't believe you of all people are asking that question. Not trying to bust ur balls, SH5 will do that.

You've been around here and been in the game for how long now?

You better hope you can retain ur base before they sign on with someone else.

10. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I start Oct 1St I call each one. Those I cant reach I send a letter.

11. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Generally the only drives I'll plow are those I have as a summer customer for lawn and landscaping. I like to talk with them at least once a month to discuss any issues they may having and around August/September I'll bring up the topic of snow and ask if they're still interested. I inform them my commercial properties are priority, they understand and all is well.
    For those that I don't provide summer devices for, (less than 5 clients) I'll give them a call around the same time

12. Buswell Forest

from NH

I finished the call list today. Lost one a week ago, the wealthy jerk who didn't want to pay for shoveling. Good riddance.
    Also, one customer died in August....
    One sold and the new owners will snowblow. It was a pain to do, but it was also right next to several others.
    So, three gone.
    But I gained 2, and the scope of one commercial increased a lot.
    All in all, a wash.

13. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

He has been busy on Plowsite telling other people how to do things .......:drinkup:

14. Buswell Forest

from NH

Well...somebody has to correct the foolishness that some guys hand out...and I am a giver.

15. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Just send out a letter (about October) to confirm they need your services again for this year. We do that and put a contract in there with the letter, if I don't get anything back by November I call just to check.

16. Buswell Forest

from NH

Spoke too soon! Grandson of the client who passed away wants it plowed same as always. He owns it now.

17. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Double bags it.............

18. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

September 1st Plow contracts go oot
    February 1st Lawn-Care/ Lawn Maintenance contracts go oot.
    I give them 2wks to respond then resend, at 4wks I resend and tell them resolution needs to be made with in 1wk. This allows me time to look for other work to backfill the schedule.

19. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I send out notices in August - With a September 1st deadline. All set for winter with the grass still green.

20. Buswell Forest

from NH

See, calling is a pain, but it has the benefit of being personal. Easy to ignore a letter or email, but a phone call gets results on the spot. They do or do not, and you can go from there..