1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

residential driveways

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bettergrass, Aug 16, 2004.

1. bettergrass

bettergrass Junior Member

how do you guys tackle residential driveways?

2. jbrow1

jbrow1 Member

I always went up to the garage and backbladed enough to back my truck in and push towards the road. Be careful to stay very clear of the garage door. Then back in (again carefully) and push to end of drive. Then drive out and push to either side of drive on outlawn, or into ditch. Really just depends on how the house and drive is setup as to where you put the snow. One thing I didn't do was fan it in the road, or across road in somebody elses outlawn, even if the house was way to the side. Got chewed for doing both of those tricks. Only once. I learned.
    ** After plowing, I would go up and shovel to the garage door.

3. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

that about covers it.....

4. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Unlike most I try not to push it tord the road then off into ditch or off to side by road. this creats a large enough burm so most small cars can't see over it when pulling out onto the road. i try to find an alternate place to put the snow as far away from the road as posable. even cary the burm the state or city plows away from the road. if there is no location for the snow then I pass up the job or have a frend with a blower come in and do it.

5. rainair

rainair Senior Member

for those new guys [and Gals too] for the 2004-2005 season,.be professional never put any snow in the street!!

p s to w master what happened to the spell checker

6. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I don't like to push across the street, can't say ive never done it but youre not supposed to. My favorite kind of drives are the ones with grass at the back to push all kinds of snow onto. The ones with garages at the back are a pain. I hate doing these you really have to hit them on an angle to push onto the grass and theres usually only one side to stack onto. Then youre stuck backdragging alot to try to get the snow to the place where youre going to pile it. I have one with a stone wall on the left as you drive in, a garage right infront of you, another stonewall on the right as you drive in, then only one area at the back right corner to pile snow, huge pain!!!!!!! Stay away from those drives, you end up having to push across the street, and if there not looking onto someone elses lawn. Generally residentials are the hardest to do when compared to open lots, it helps to have a more manuevarable truck in drives. Money is not as good as commercial but in my opinion less of a liability especially if you just do 10 or so drives but don't have insurence (i do have insurence).

7. b2driver

b2driver Member
    from MD

To follow up on this. What if the driveway is gravel?

I'm new to plowing, just plan on doing my parent's, my wife's parent's and our driveway, perhaps a few others as well.

Any other tips you can give me?

8. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

best way to do strait drives:

howidodriveways.gif

9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

b2driver, if the gravel isn't frozen yet, do this. Lower the blade all the way. Then tap on the toggle just enough to raise the blade an inch or so off the ground. Push the snow where you want. When you're to the edge of the driveway, start to raise the blade to make sure you don't dig into the grass. Make sure you push the snow far enough from the driveway (if there is room) so you can push future snows off the driveway.