1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Residential Driveways

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by matt hermann, Feb 25, 2011.

1. matt hermann

matt hermann Junior Member

How much do you guys get for your average residential driveway? and how big is the driveway?

I understand different locations mean different prices and all. I'm not looking to base the prices off of you guys, was just curious what you guys were gettin out of them.

2. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

$25 - $50 and I am not a lowballer. About average for this area
  3. matt hermann

matt hermann Junior Member

for how big of a drive? and is that for like a 2-6in range?
  4. TerrForms

TerrForms Member

Most of the drives I do go for 35-45 per push. I figure you got to get A dollar a minute or better. If snow is heavy double it.
  5. Neige

Neige Sponsor

6. ks_grasscutter

ks_grasscutter Junior Member

I get $20 to $50, ranging from single drives with a little bit of sidewalk and porch/steps, to a drive thats about single-car wide and a couple hundred feet long with a 3 car wide parking area infront of the garage. Don't really make the money on any of them that I would like to, but these are all mowing customers too so I give them a break a little bit.
  7. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

i charge $186.35, unless it's taco tuesday...then i give a 10% discount. and if they show their AARP card, i allow an additional 5%....NOW, if i end up making 2 passes on the driveway, i have a $30 surcharge, unless they have an American flag flying out front of their house. then i reduce that to $15...hope this helps
  8. KEC Maintaince

KEC Maintaince Senior Member
    from N.J.

Matt this is what i do if you want to talk give me a call as im from woodbridge area. like i said i dont plow i do mostly snow blowing services. and it has worked out well for me this year since its my first year im still learning

i only do resi but all my customers know if we get more then 6 inches the price goes up.
    example a 2 car wide by 2 car long drive with 30 feet of walk way to front door. is 50 bucks 2-6 inches of snow,6.01 to 8 inches its 65 bucks 8-10 its 75 ,10 to 12 is 100 then i go up from there .
    ice is more... you can get 2 inches of snow and 1/4 in of ice on to blow the snow and ice come back in 10 minutes and have 1 solid sheet of ice.
    same drive with the conditions above will cost them 150 dollars they will also get 25 lbs of calcium or rocksalt but i will only do the work after the event
    these are my average drives that i manage i have 10 customers like them my route is tight from start to finish im home in 3 hrs. on a average storm of 6-8 inches and its after it stops snowing thats with a snow blower and im a 1 man show i do have a back up blower just in case..
    next year will be a diffrent story as i am getting a new truck and plow. but i still will not drop my price below 50 for the same work.
    50 is minimum.
  9. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

i'm curious...how did you come up with this "$50 minimum"? and with the method you derived that $50 minimum...wouldn't it be better to share that method with him, so he can come up with his own minimum....than to just rattle off your rates? his cost, and your cost of operation may be totally different.

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

$30-$40 for most. theres one or 2 that i do for $25
  11. espyj

espyj Member

I do the majority of my business residential. Anywhere from $25-50. It averages out to about $2/minute that I"m onsite for most.
  12. KMBertog

KMBertog PlowSite.com Addict

everyones rates are different and you will have to go from there.... we charge most of our residential's the same price, but we have a few that are special circumstances that require more $$$. Just be sure you are ahead money when it's all done. :salute:
  13. KEC Maintaince

from N.J.

i base my prices 50 bucks/30min ..30 minute minimum
  14. flatlander42

flatlander42 Senior Member

POST OF THE YEAR RIGHT THERE!!!!!!!! hahahaa!

15. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

In 1970 to shovel a DW for $5 dollars many people would balk at paying that. Three years ago when I started blowing DW's I charged $30 to $40 and felt that it was on the highside. Since then I have found that people have been paying $60 to $100 for a 30x60 DW. Knowing this I now charge $50 to $60.

But knowing what others charge is only half the answer. As other's that have been doing this for longer then me is that you must factor in your costs.

I was lucky my mom in 1996 had bought a 24" Troy Bilt. Still looks great and never any problems. This year a woman had a Sears 28", about 10 years old but only used a few times, still looked new, sold it to me for $150.

I already had a utility trailer or a pickup truck to move the blowers and the rest of the equipment.

The extra miles on your vehicles: tires, oil change, gas, etc.

Money has to be set aside to buy spare shear bolts, repairs. You want to up grade to a 48" blower because you are turning down customers because you can't clear DW's fast enough.

Set aside to expand. Second blower because customers don't want to hear that you are not going to do them because your machine broke, or it is jamed because you sucked up a newspaper, to buy a plow to move up to bigger jobs.

So $60 may sound like a lot for 30 minutes work. But when you factor in the unloading and loading time, driving to the next account you are only doing one DW an hour so when you thought you were making $2 a minute now is $1 a minute.

Then if if costs $5 to run the truck, $3 to run the equipment, set aside $22 to buy a plow that $60 job got you $30.

And now that DW paid you $.50 a minute after all costs and business working capital goals are met.

Then do you need this money to supplement your income, or can you sock away every dollar to get to your goal of getting that plow rig?

In the end is it worth doing it then do it.
  16. KEC Maintaince

from N.J.

are you going to plow or snow blow
    how long and wide is the drivee
    pavers, black top, gravel or concrete drives
    circular or streight
    any sidwalks
    what about clearing to mail boxes
    any steps
    a lot of guys will do it for 15 bucks a drive where i live.
    you also have to know this it takes money to make money cost of doing business is expensive a lot more expense possibley in jersey then in any other part of the USA. but keeping your equipment in good condition will cut down on premature machine failures.
    also if you were doing just your driveway you would havee to buy shearpins and gas any way. as far as a good running vehicle. take a good look around most guys are running crap that have more rust holes and they just bandaid the ***** together hoping to make it back home.
    i have never seen as many pieces of crap running around with rusted plows and beater vehicles then i did this year so dont tell me those guys are worried about failures or doing it correctly and worried about their bottom line. they are not.
    you pull up in a piece ao ***** truck and ask for top dollar with the customer staring at your vehicle all of my customers will tell you to get out of here.
    yes equipment does matter.
  17. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

our pickups are cancered, don't think any of them have a straight quarter panel on them. i refuse to plow with and beat up our nice trucks. it'd be my guess our older pickups are every bit as good mechanically as the guys driving around the new/newer ones. i guess the way i look at it, it's not the paint job, fancy strobes...doing the plowing. and i don't think in my little town, that i'm going to be run off a site because of a paint job. maybe that means a lot in a big city, i don't know
  18. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

my truck was alot nicer before I plowed with it. A little banged up now.
  19. KEC Maintaince

from N.J.

how do you come up with your priceing???
    i have known guys who plow for yrs and they have owned their vehicles since new and they do not beat the crap out of them. its usually employees who destroy vehicles because they dont care .
  20. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

after years of plowing, i have a very good handle on how long my lots take based on the given snowfall, i know how much gas or diesel my vehicles/loaders burn in an hr. i know what my employee costs are, replacement or repair of plowing equipment, my insurance costs..and i REALLY know how much money i want in my pocket at the end of each push. that's the MOST important..to me anyway.