1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Residential driveways....per push?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by gtmustang00, Sep 17, 2010.

1. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

I'm thinking about starting up plowing for the first time on my own. Have plowed for a business for 6 years. Should i charge per push? If so usually a 2 inch trigger and at what amount do you plow twice? Every 5 inches?

MIPLOWER Junior Member

Depend how you have your contract setup, last year I cleared snow with a snow blower and all my per-push customers wanted me to clear every time the trigger 2" hit great way to make money but i also had some Seasonal customers too.
  3. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

If i plow more than once a storm, give a discounted rate such as each visit after for half regular price?
  4. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I do driveways once for less than 6" and 2x for more than 6"...... etc....... No discounts for return visits, my costs are the same whether it is my first time there or my 3rd time there...
  5. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

How I do it is charge a flat price whether I come once or 3 times, they pay that price. If we get more than 6 inches I add a little surcharge. Works well for me and my customers and lets you plow when you think is right without complaints from customers about you coming too many times.
  6. msu1510

msu1510 Senior Member
    from MI

:confused: gtmustang why would you do the work twice and drop your price to half? If you plow it 5 times will you cut your price to 20% the original cost? i have some accounts you can have if thats how you are going to bill me.:laughing::laughing:
  7. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I charge 1 per storm, even if I go back 3 times I only charge once. I do charge extra if the snow goes over 8 inches.

ever hear of season contract?
    how about a storm contract one price/storm

I'm glad your pricing works for you, there is more than one way to charge.
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  8. msu1510

msu1510 Senior Member
    from MI

hey i am all for it, if you have a 2 day storm and charge for one push good for you. I would not be able to cover labor or fuel doing that. But if it works for you. different strokes for different folks i guess. maybe someday i will figure out the secret
  9. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

If they have a two inch trigger I plow ever two inches. So if it snows 7in during the day ill be there 3 times. But if its a two inch trigger and it starts snowing at 7pm and they are closed and we get 7inchs i wont be there three times. I get there on the normally starting time for a morning start. It all depends what your contract says and what they want