1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Residential Driveway Treatment

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by renegaade, Jun 23, 2009.

1. renegaade

renegaade Junior Member
    from Canada

Hey guys,

Great site you got going here. I was wondering if you could give me some idea of what you'd charge to apply surface treatment to residential driveways, and approximately how much treatment you'd apply.

Small: Up to 2 cars
    Medium: Up to 4 cars

Thanks so much!

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I havn't had any luck getting resi's to go for it. And I wonder how effective it would be with so little/no traffic. I find my pre-salting works best if I put it down a couple hours before the storm so it can get ground up and spread around. As for pricing, I would start with what you get to sand post storm.

3. renegaade

renegaade Junior Member
    from Canada

Thanks for the quick reply! I am not currently in business which is why I'm not sure exactly what route I should be taking but I was hoping to add treatment before freezing rain/storms and then perhaps after a storm. Snow removal would of course be done during the storm but I want to make the enviornment a safer place as well (it's not just about extra profit, the only reason I'd do it is if it's advantageous to the household - older people, kids, etc)

So, is that the proper time to apply treatment? And if so, how much should I be applying? Thanks so much!

4. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Anti-icing and/or de-icing for residential driveways is a tough sell. The majority will not want that level of service unless it's a treacherous driveway due to grade changes.

You will find more that will want their walks shoveled. Be careful with those and STRONGLY RECOMMEND the use of chems once you hand shovel, and get a signed disclaimer if they don't want chems as you will be exposed to more liability by taking on sidewalks. :nod:

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I use Magic Salt that I have made myself, using Magic -0 and dry rock salt (bagged). But, there are many products out there for anti-icing. Learn about the different products and their specific characteristics BEFORE using them. You can easily create more problems than you solve. Like TCLA said, it's a tough sell. You'll probably do better selling to commercial properties than residential.

6. georgekonyev

georgekonyev Junior Member

It would have to dpened on what servicies you apply.

7. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

It's not a lot of product your putting down and how much are you charging for a plow as is $15-$35 per drive of those sizes. For good salt maybe $15 a 50 pound bag, divide that by 3-5 driveways. It's more a nice to offer service rather than one you can actually turn money on.

Put too much down and you'll wreck the grass, state that you'll never slip because of the salt and your open to heavy liability.

8. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Measure the drive

Take the guess work out of it and base it on the product you are applying, (sodium, mag, cal, etc) you will know what needs to be applied on average. What ever average is for a snow event, right.

If you are looking for help with estimating jobs, check out a comprehensive manual that we have available called Snow & Management, Don't let your profits melt away. This manual with help you with all aspects of snow & ice management from bidding, contracts, ice melter selections, etc.

Check out our website at www.profitsareus.com or call me at 800-845-0499 if you have any questions. Being a full service company since 1979, I know walk the walk you guys walk every day. I am also a sponsor on this site.

Good luck.