1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Residential Driveway Questions

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Dougman, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Dougman

Dougman Member
    from MA

For those quoting and plowing residential driveways, I'd like to know how much you discuss with potential clients and/or document in writing ahead of time on these points:

1) Plow pattern/technique and where snow will be pushed/deposited
    2) Potential for lawn damage where snow is pushed off the driveway
    3) Unusual risks for (expensive) property damage (e.g., parked cars, granite mailbox posts, etc.)
    4) Policy for remedying property damage
    5) Policy for replacement service/reimbursement in case of equipment failure
    6) Unusual snow events with road closure and/or beyond normal plow capability

Thanks,
    Dougman

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Here, I've had a few customers show interest in HOW I'd plow and #1 (WHERE I'd put piles) but only those who are particular and only then for a few minutes until I take charge and tell them how it's going to be done. Then, they say something like "It sounds like you know what you're doing...". But that's only been four or five people in the past six years. I've never been asked about the rest of those. Mostly, they just want to know "how much".

3. Dougman

Dougman Member
    from MA

Ha!!! :) I guess that's the difference between Maine and Massachusetts!!! Funny how the farther away you get from big snow territory, the more complicated it gets! Your clients are obviously 100% prepared for snow while my potential clients just want to know where those ugly snow piles are gonna go and what I'm gonna do about their torn up lawn.

I also don't suppose you've got many granite mailbox posts located exactly 1 foot off the driveway and street. :D

Dougman

4. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

I've only had one person ask me. I push into the corner just off of the street onto the lawn & Make sure I raise it all the way up so I don't tear up anything.

5. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

1. If they do ask, which I have never had happen, tell them where you "plan" to put the snow. If there is 2+ feet the snow just ends up wherever I can get it as long as its off the driveway.
    2. I understand that you are new to this but you will get the hang of picking up the plow when you are coming up to lawns. I have maybe 3 or 4 small patches a year, and they always seem to be in the same places.
    3. Call my insurance co.
    4. I assume you mean lawns and landscaping. If the driveway is marked well and I do significant damage i fix it. It is very inexpensive and people love it when you fix their lawn.
    5. I do my best to service all my clients. I have a spare truck and several other contractors that I work with and they will help me out.
    6. If the truck cant get to the job safely it cannot be done. There is no point to risk my or others safety because your son wants to go over his friends house to play. Yes someone did call me and say that once.

Basically as mick said its very rare to come across these questions, but that is how I would answer them.

6. BobC

BobC Senior Member

Tell them don't have it plowed wait till July and it will be gone without the risk of lawn damage. Seriously as well as you mark the area and as careful as you are it sounds like they will be complainers. Knock on wood in 30 yrs. I only had one issue. Customer had poorly installed(no base under them) coble stone border which was I marked and the plow was raised before it reached them but the packed snow in front of the plow laid them over. In the spring I reset them and they wanted me back the next year but I politely told them my route was full. (Didn't need the hassle)