1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

residential driveway markers

Discussion in 'Weather' started by BRENTMAN, Dec 12, 2008.

1. BRENTMAN

BRENTMAN Senior Member

Does anyone put up little markers on the driveways for reference when plowing?
    I remember last year thinking how hard it could be sometimes to know exactly where the driveway is under all that snow, so i was wondering if anyone uses markers or something? if so, can you pleeeeeease give me some pointers on that. thanks

2. deadogwalkin

deadogwalkin Member

On our residential drives we will mark them if it is requested by the homeowner or if the configuration of the drive and landscaping make it neccessary to avoid damage. If the drive it straight to door- we may put two at the street to "hit the hole" when we get bigger snows. Also, we use the sticks you can get at Home Depot for $1.99. They have a reflective top and stand up to a little abuse. The biggest problem you will have with these is keeping kids from using them as swords to fight with the neighbor kids!! Good Luck.

3. cr252many

cr252many Junior Member

I have always used them...snow cover hides all kinds of crap you don't want to hit.

4. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

unless they were falling from the sky...... this is the wrong forum.

5. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

I like them......but I have one customer who hates them, luckily I've been going to his house for the past 17yrs during the summers so I am very familiar with his driveway :D

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If you mark the driveway how can you sell them sod repair in the spring?:D
    I used to use slats from Home Depot when I did drives. Just make sure you off set them when you put them in.

7. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

You were probably the hall monitor in grade school huh?

As far as driveway markers go, OF COURSE, pretty much everyone uses them! Otherwish you will be reseeding all kinds of areas in the Spring. You can get them all over the place.... Home Depot, Menards, Lowes, EBay, JThomas... the list goes on and on. Use wood stakes if you want cheap ones, or get the plastic reflective ones for a more professional look. Put them near the end of the drive and have at it.

8. BRENTMAN

BRENTMAN Senior Member

thanks for the input buddy

9. BRENTMAN

BRENTMAN Senior Member

right, so you just use 2 for the end of the drive pretty much?
    I cant see paying $5 for a pair of markers for each and every single damn driveway i have, theres gotta be some cheaper ones. I'm pinching pennys to get this plow and a new set of tires.....

10. JDiepstra

On a straight driveway 2 is all I need. I use more on circular or u shape or other odd shapes.

You can get wood stakes for say 8 bucks about 24 stakes that are about 3 feet tall from Mynards (Menards), Home Depot, Lowes... I think they call them gradeing stakes. That works out to about 33 cents each. If you can find 4 foot stakes you could probably cut them in half and save even more money!

11. BRENTMAN

BRENTMAN Senior Member

thats prob what i'll do....gotta be careful with those wood stakes though i heard.....cant be running into them now lol

12. JDiepstra

I usually put mine about 4" off the driveway to give myself some room to work. Just keep in mind you have to keep your plow 4" off the stake or you will be fixing up lawns!

13. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

So menards sells 24 stakes for around 8 bucks? I might be making a road trip if that is true. I just priced some at home depot, 3ft tall 12/pk for 6.37.

14. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

We mark every one of our driveways. average of 8-12 stakes per drive, but we have some that have ~36 stakes. We buy them and mark them ourselves to prevent damage. we charge to put them in and take them out. If they don't agree to it, we don't plow their driveway.

if you want cheap plain fiberglass orange stakes, buy them from angelos, they're around $.50/ea or less depending on quantity you buy.

If you want nice ones that have reflectors & caps buy them from discountsnowstakes.com Great price on them and nice to deal with.

15. gottaluvplows

gottaluvplows Senior Member

My neighbor has a huge table saw in the basement. I buy 5 2by 5s of what ever and we slice them than make stakes paint them your good. all hey do is run them over any way. Then in the spring come back pick them up.Recycle. But that is true off set them. But i use 2 at the end of the drive from angelos. Big orange ones 50cent .

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  16. camconcrete

camconcrete Senior Member

I use old survey stakes from jobsites that we work on in the summer. They are always lying around getting ran over so I pick them up every so often. All I do is spray some reflective paint on them and they are good to go. Besides the superintendents don't mind cause that is one less thing they have to pick up or worry about going thru someones tire.

17. HALH VT

HALH VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

[ If you can find 4 foot stakes you could probably cut them in half and save even more money![/QUOTE]

Two foot stakes aren't tall enough by half. Once you get close to them they disappear below the fender and reappear next spring where ever you pushed them to. You also need something tall enough that it won't be completely buried after the first two or three storms.

I had a customer who insisted on staking his own drive with two foot rebar. I was lucky and never drove one through a tire or my gas tank. He has gone to a nursing home now, and his property manager put in four foot reflective topped fiberglass ones this year.

18. PLOWBIZ121

PLOWBIZ121 Junior Member

Wow, :cry: :nono::nono:I never understood the whole rebar thing. It just seems like it would cause a ton of damage and is it even cost effective? They have nice reflective fiberglass stakes at www.discountsnowstakes.com. Their cheap too for what your getting.:yow!:

19. KrisR

KrisR Member
    from NH

20. dchr

dchr Senior Member

Amen to that-lost a tire in the middle of a storm last season doing a drive that one of my customers insisted on staking himself with rebar
    For residential I use the fiberglass reflective stakes;for my commercial accounts I use wood painted with reflective paint and tape at the top