1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Residential Drives

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by MICHPLOWER, Aug 13, 2010.

new to the business 1st year, what are the michigan guys and everybody else's base price for residential driveways??? I don't want to lowball anybody. Shoveling Porches, Steps, Sidewalk, Mail Box area, Salt, How to charge for these, in base price or extra cost???

Small Drives
    Medium Drives
    Large Drives
    Any help would be highly appreciated, Thanks in advanced
  2. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

What kind or equiment/trucks/plows/ and salt are
    you using.
  3. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

$2.25 per minute with a $35 minimum. If you can't make that then you are wasting your time...and ruining the market.
  4. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

You genraly don't salt residential, unless it's a non corrosive/ non pitting material and the customer will pay for it. But never put rock salt on a residential.
  5. Exact Services

Exact Services Senior Member

Great point here. Make it worth it or do something else over the winter. Over on lawnsite you hear $1 a minute for residential mowing etc. some even claim $2+ a minute depending on equipment market base etc.

Grass grow gradually and you can plan a weekly route around it and if the rainy weather delays a mowing by a day it's not the end of the world. Snow needs to be moved in a reasonable time frame and it's a different game. Lets just say the going growing season labor rate here with even big reputable companies with hired help and high overhead is $45 an hour.

A few winters back we had 2 back to back winters with crazy record snow for this area. Every able bodied person with a truck was out with snowblowers and a pair of slippery 2 x 6's or shoveling average roofs for $150 to $300. Snow is almost viewed as a crisis...help your neighbor.... clear their snow for cheap....be a Pal....etc. Even the local media had pleas for helping your disadvantaged snowed in neighbor. Fresh baked cookies is all you need as payment....WWJD...etc.

For those of you "new to the industry" considering getting into the snow as some sort of huge payola you might want to do some homework on going rates in your area first. My area is loaded with half price hacks in general and snow is much tougher to market than mowing lawns.
  6. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Why not? :confused:
  7. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Why not......
  8. Matson Snow

Sorry Joe...I just made it to AJ the Experts post and posted my Why not...Then i saw yours....Im real curious as to the answer from AJ....:dizzy:
  9. Matson Snow

Please enlighten me on what Non-corrosive materal you would use...And why not Salt????
  10. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Lest see, it kills the lawn and flowers, tracks into the house O ya it also DESTROYS concrete steps. tracks into the garage.

again why do you want to use it? Ive only had a couple of customers (24 years of plowing) that wanted sand, didn't even want salt.

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

prices vary GREATLY from state to state, i have seen some drives on here go for 25-30 bucks in other states that i would charge 45-50 for in CT.
  12. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

I prefer to use table salt on my residential drives, I usualy use a salt shaker to spread it too. It gets the job done but it's not cheap for the customer!
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  13. doubleedge

doubleedge Member
    from ND

Try using a salt grinder next time; it is much faster.
  14. Exact Services

Exact Services Senior Member

This is what I have used to spread broadcast spread de-icier on residential drives and walks. http://www.earthway.com/product/hand/ I dropped my one PITA client that requested me to use it on her sloped fairly steep driveway that was roughly 70+ feet long.

** Note the cover to keep precipitation snow flakes etc. from getting the product wet. Frankly very short and smaller driveways a smaller hand held hand crank fert spreader is all you will need for just walks up to the porch etc.

Look for the bags of deicer product that say safer for pets, driveways and plants etc. The dry deicer products tend to attract moisture so avoid exposure to weather. I store mine is plastic containers like those large protein shake canisters and they can be stowed in the open bed of truck basically impervious to weather but beware of cold weather cracking of the containers from physical damage.

You may want to include a clause in your service agreements/contracts specifying a slip free surface is not guaranteed nor implied even with or with out use of deicer. May not make much of a difference to a sue happy person but it can't hurt having it in there in black and white. Fact is on my contacts it is in red bold print.