1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Residential drive - de-icing and hardpacked snow

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by snremo_by_tm, Dec 16, 2012.

1. snremo_by_tm

snremo_by_tm Junior Member

I am looking at de-icers, that are safe for lawns and vegetation, and for concrete including exposed aggregate, problem is the cost it seems to be very expensive even for rock salt and calcium chloride formulations. about 400 per ton, I think. I don't plow but I thought maybe an atv with a plow would be useful for scraping hard packed snow down to bare pavement. it seems when there's hard packed snow from people's vehicle the salt (good to -24c) isn't effective and I worry my salt is damaging to concrete and vegetation. I was looking into arctic eco green ice melter, seems good but, expensive. and they don't tell the ingredients.What are other guys doing?

2. snremo_by_tm

snremo_by_tm Junior Member

i had to rush off to spread more salt to get this job done, anyway whats he best de-icer formulation for -20c(-4) I live in a very cold area, and I want to service customers who call me when they have just been driving over the snow. I tried windsor action melt and I was not impressed, prob too little of the calcium chloride. I heard magic salt is good... Maybe I should use straight calcium chloride? This driveway is pissing me off... :realmad:

3. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

4. szorno

szorno Senior Member

Sam's club has 50lb sacks of dry melt that is a blend of calcium chloride & mag chloride. I know that stuff works down to 0 degrees from personal experience. Cover your hard pack with the blend and let it work for 3+ hrs, preferably in daylight. Then use your atv to scrape what you can and do it again. Should help the situation dramatically.