1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Residential contract

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MICHPLOWER, Aug 24, 2010.

1. MICHPLOWER

MICHPLOWER Member

I am writng up my contract and was wondering what everyone who does residential contract if you put unlimited snow plowing or 1 visit per 24 hrs. I got on mine "1-visit per 24hrs"

any input would be appreciated

2. Neige

Neige Sponsor

We do not limit the visits per day. 1 vist ever 24 hrs, is not much of a service JMO.

3. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

Mitch... Provide the best service you can agree to with the customer. Plowing six times a day is great, if thats what the weather calls for.

4. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

agree 100%

5. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

hey guys,

I understand he may be askng a lot of questions and, yes, he can certainly use the search, however, no need to crucify or make fun of him and the questions he is asking

thanks

6. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

that's the catch 22 about seasonal contracts, that's why you need to know how many events you'll have in a season on average.

7. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

You have to keep what's best for the customer in mind ~ not what's best for you. 1 visit per 24hrs is not in the best interest of your customer...unless they are looking for (and/or you are offering) minimalistic service at a cut-rate price.

8. asps4u

asps4u Senior Member

Just a side note, but are you writing the contract yourself? If so, I STRONGLY suggest having an attorney read it over before you finalize it, to make sure you cover your butt from any potential problems. Trust me, it will be money VERY well spent. :nod:

You have to remember (especially with residential's), that most people really don't want to hire us to do what we do, but it beats the alternative of them doing it themselves, so they want to get the most for their money. If you make them feel warm and fuzzy about it, and give them the service to back it up, you can make customers for life.

Is this contract for seasonal or per push? If it's seasonal, than it should be for unlimited visits for the season and priced accordingly based on your average amount of events, so if it snows and hits your trigger, you push, no matter when it is. If it's per push, than why would you want to limit yourself to only one visit in a 24 hour period? If a storm or multiple storms require that you push twice in 24 hours, why would you want to leave that money on the table? Just my .02

9. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

i just want to throw this out there (and it was a hot topic last year), some markets only want service once every 24 hours. If i suggested to my customers that i was going to do their snow 2-3 times a day, and adjust the price accordingly, they would all leave faster then (a bus full of people when someone in the back shouts "Al qaeda!!!") Although this year i am going to offer the option to people to have multiple daily snow removals, i don't think very many people "if any" are going to sign on for it. Maybe people around here are just too cheap.

10. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

What happens if you plow 2\" by 8 AM and it snows another 16\" by midnight? Or 5\" by 5 PM?

11. MICHPLOWER

MICHPLOWER Member

We plow anything after 5 P.M. the next day, We start plowing @ 12A.M.

12. buckwheat_la

Depends. There are always special circumstances. But usually if the first places in the morning that we do have so much snow by the afternoon that i feel that it might unconvince my clients then I well send a crew to redo the morning ones. Happens MAYBE once a year.

13. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

So if the lake effect is hitting hard, too bad if there\'s a foot of snow at 5 PM, they have to wait until midnight?

Just wondering because I\'ve heard of this before but never understood it.

14. buckwheat_la

First off we don't get the lake effect, but if we ended up having enough snow to plow in the morning and ended up with that situation we would probably go out again. The main thing is due to the dynamic of our area it isn't a expectation for service more then once a day and when it is a bad snow storm it can completely shut down the city.

15. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Right, I understand, but I think I read that michplower is from Grand Rapids and I think they are somewhat of a lake effect belt, so your level of service or expectations from customers may not be the same as his.

16. MICHPLOWER

MICHPLOWER Member

I use a snow blower last year, I onlycleared the driveways once, I had in my ageement that we would come twice in a 24hrs period. I never had to come back more than once and never had a customer call me either. I also have in my agreement that after the city plows come by that we will return only if customer calls and request it. Nobody ever come planed, and i only got a couple calls once in a while to come clear the entrance out.
    I do what my customers ask for.

"Some guys do good jobs the first time or they have none complaning customers"

17. buckwheat_la

For sure, that is why I said "some markets" our market is most Definetly different from others.

18. MICHPLOWER

MICHPLOWER Member

I wasn't Commenting on you buckwheat_la, I was commenting on the other guy