1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Residential/Commercial vs. Municipal Plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JohnsonLawn, Dec 13, 2006.

1. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn Member

I am a solo op LCO and plow for the town in the winter. My questions is, I have been thinking which would be a more profitable way to go with a 1 truck operation, plowing for the town @ $65.00 per hr. with my route being about a total of 2 miles and 3/4 of a mile from the house or start to take on residential driveways and a few parking lots or condos. I have been thinking that taking on driveways could add up quick, but you would spend more money and time in travel and more complains from customers. What have you guys found to be the better of the two

2. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

Working for yourself is always better. IMO

How many hrs do you typically make in a storm?

3. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn Member

Have any trouble chasing people for your money. The town pays every 2 weeks with out fail.

4. Snoflo

Snoflo Member

Well JohnsonLawn as I see it here are the issues.
    $65.00 Town pays you. Do they call you to plow? If so that is worry free rest and a call to work. Other very little sleep constant worry about suprise snowfall.
    $110.00-120.00 per hour on your own however now need a GL Policy for 2 mil average minimum $1,500.00 - $2,000.00 annually dpending on gross revenue, Workers Comp average $900.00 annually even if no employees most property management companies who own condos and apartments require this. Also high liability on you and your company as far as slip and falls.

just a few thoughts. there are many more but I am starting to stress myself out LOL

5. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn Member

Yes the town calls out at a 3" trigger. I have looked in the the insurances required and they are not cheap, plus my commercial liability for lawn care does not cover snow removal, so this is an additional $2000.00 for 2 million policy and it is to be paid in full up front. Sounds like a big gamble is it doesn't snow

6. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

have a ?.. why does the town hire contractors to plow? here our town has a street maintaince dept that does all of the plowing, snow removal, and ice control. they also fix pot holes afterwards. they just use the same trucks and employees that they already have anyway. they do a very good job.

7. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn Member

Our town has a fleet of big trucks for plowing and sanding the larger, wider roads, but they hire alot of sub contractors to plow neighborhoods as they don't have enough equipment to keep up.

8. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

must be for bigger towns? we are a town of 10,000. i can see where a big town would need help or the whole city might be a disaster area in the morning

9. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Stick with doing the town roads and pick up a few driveways on the side.

10. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

You're a lucky one. In colder climates and larger towns and cities, they do a lot of work with their own trucks and crews, but are still forced to sub out much of their work to subcontractors. Around here, you could plow for just about any city/town or even the state if you want to. There's always work there, as long as the snow falls. :angry:

11. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

Cant believe that your township lets you plow without insurance.
    We do work for townships in NJ in big storms and you are required to have snow plowing insurance. God forbid you do something by mistake do you really think the township is gonna cover you.:nono:

12. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Plowing for the towns and state you do need insurance..

In Massachusetts at least when I had my equipment on the State you needed 300,000 liability, I don't know if that has gone up or not??? The same with the local towns/cities that I had gear on.

13. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

I'm pretty sure Acton, MA or Concord, MA doesn't need insurance..... I forgot which town. But one of them.

14. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

That wasn't my point, you want insurance. If you are plowing and get in an accident your own insurance company will not cover you unless you have plowing listed on that truck.
    Doesn't matter if you live in NH, Me, NJ or whatever. Cover yourself or dont take the chance.

15. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn Member

My town requires 100,000/300,000 liablity, but that is what I carry on my truck anyway so there is no added expense.

16. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn Member

This policy is also a commercial vehicle policy and my agent said plowing town roads was covered. The problem with commercial properties is that everyone is sue happy and the insurance rates and liabilty go threw the roof

17. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

Just be careful, I have seen to many horror stories of guys that thought they were covered for plowing.

18. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn Member

I appreciate your concern and I will double check with my insurance agent on Monday to make sure everything is covered. I still figure there would be more of a liabilty issue plowing for condos and parking lots