1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Residential clearing advise

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by toronto snow, Dec 13, 2014.

1. toronto snow

toronto snow Junior Member
    from toronto

I just started plowing last year and i was wondering if anybody can give me some advise on clearing a residential driveway. After i back drag the snow from the driveway to the road and i try to push it to pile it on the side curb it is not a smooth ride like i see other guys when they do it any advise going from the road to the curb ? Wrong angle,speed?

2. cdmckane

cdmckane Member

I don't backdrag anything into the street. I only backdrag enough to get behind it and push it. If they don't have room to stack it on their property, check local regs about pushing it across the street into the ditch. I do this quite frequently and it works out well for me. The only laws around here are that you can't leave a "pile of snow" in the road. I clean it up as well as I can and move on to the next one.

If they do have room to stack it on the property, make sure that you push it back far enough on the first push to have enough room for the rest of the winter.

3. toronto snow

toronto snow Junior Member
    from toronto

There is room at the end of the driveway to stack the snow i just was wondering if there is a trick to pushing the snow from the road over the edge of the side walk onto the grass. It is not always even once the snow starts falling it gets better. What i am doing now is slowly raising the bucket while moving forward is there an other option or way to do it? I am only asking because i watched another guy do a driveway and it seemed he just put the truck in drive and just drove? Seems like there should be a float button or something any help would help.

4. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

What are you using for equipment?

5. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

If you have hardpack on there it's gonna be a little uneven. It might not come up. When you go into the grass I would raise the plow up a little and not in float cause the plow and truck weight might sink some in the grass. Over time it should eventually smooth out if your pushing level and not sinking.

6. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

So your asking how to stack snow on grass over a curb?

I'm assuming you have a plow on a truck so push the snow as far as you can until you hit the curb (do this slowly) leave the truck in drive and raise the plow til you are just bearly above the curb. Once you know the plow is on the curb lower or float the plow and push to the edge of the grass. Be careful not to plow up the grass so you have to guess where the sidewalk ends and grass begins. Then raise your plow.
    You have to do it a couple times before you get good at it but I would suggest practicing wothout snow so you get muscle memory as to where the plow/truck are.
    Then try doing it with your eyes closed lol

7. andersman02

andersman02 Senior Member

Just like he said, if there is a lip from the grass, you can usually feel when you hit it. Plow markers marking the sides of the drive help alot.

Pull to bottom of drive, go at and angle, keep blade straight, feel for the grass. If it is flat lift the blade a bit to get one side up, then drive forward and raise a bit more so the whole blade is off the ground, push back

8. andersman02

andersman02 Senior Member

Just remember you WILL tear up grass every now on some properties due to how the lay of the land is. No matter what anyone says on here it does happen if you are pushing into grass. For the better people it happens less and less grass is torn up.

Also, some people may disagree, but on a real light snowfall, like 1", I may just feather it into the citys windrow if there hasnt been much snowfall yet. Do not do this if you already have a huge citiy berm along the curb. And dont push the snow across the street, thats a huge pet peave of mine

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014