1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Residential Billing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Psipressure, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Psipressure

Psipressure Junior Member

How do you guys normally bill your residential customers? Per storm? Monthly billing? Not sure what is normal.

2. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

All mine is monthly

3. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

All but 1 are monthly. And that one just prefers by the storm, leaves it in his truck which I move each time to plow the entire driveway. He is a friend, so I don't mind the extra hassle.

4. Buswell Forest

from NH

Also, I always mail the bills out and include a self addressed stamped envelope. I get asked why I don't bill via email, but emails are easily ignored and or deleted, go to spam, or plain never get read. A letter in the mail is far more personal, and I believe it is harder to just dismiss. So far, not stiffed once. Though some tend to come later than others. I may institute a late fee if it gets too bad. Something like an extra $10 after 30 days.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  5. easygifts123

easygifts123 Junior Member

Per month but will send out multiple when busy.Keeps them informed on what they are paying for. No shock to anyone

6. Buswell Forest

from NH

I log each visit on an invoice with the date, time I plowed, snow depth, any sanding, and snow or ice conditions- IE, very heavy wet snow, sleet, fluff...etc. I also note pertinent info like tree branches down, heavy snow load on roofs and the like. This way, they can fact check me if they want.

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Seasonal.paid in thirds. At signing Jan1St March 1st

8. Psipressure

Thanks guys. I guess monthly is the way to go. Especially if we get multiple storms in a month.

9. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Are you asking how frequently they are billed or how they are charged?

10. Psipressure

I was asking when to collect the money. I am charging per push.

11. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I bill at the end of the month.

12. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Say For a blizzard if falls at beginning of the month or middle I bill that one storm then the rest of the visits at end of the month
    Most of the time a big blizzard can equal one normal month and breaks it up little for customer

13. SnowJunki

SnowJunki Junior Member
    from Maine

end of the month was starting to consider yearly contracts set pricing anyone else do this?

14. PremierSnowPlow

PremierSnowPlow Senior Member

We do our contracts by season, half at signing 2nd half due by Jan 31st

15. cdmckane

cdmckane Member

I bill on 1st and 15th of each month. I did it monthly my first year and most of my customers balked at getting such a large bill after we got slammed with 3 large storms, plus normal snow. This seems to keep the bills in the range that my customers are most comfortable with. Also, it coincides with the way a lot of people get paid, so it's easier to not "forget" to pay it.

16. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You bill for blizzards?

17. jimbo64

jimbo64 Senior Member

I collect at the end of each month and personally visit each customer. It takes a bit of time but I think it's good public relations. I see a lot of you have different rates for different amounts of snow. In my neck of the woods it's the same price per storm , 3" or 3 feet !!

18. AccuCon

AccuCon Senior Member
    from CT

I do an association and that is monthly some of my single driveway customers are on a per storm basis

Tripple

19. Broncslefty7

Broncslefty7 Senior Member

i bill per inch per storm after every storm.

20. Buswell Forest

from NH

Per push covers up to 12", after that I push 2x or more as needed and charge for each visit. If a customer wants a clean out before the storm is done, say at 6" during a 10" storm, they call and I charge for that and the return to clean up. I do next day returns to clear town plow banks at the end of the drives for free since most are within 2 miles of home. A little extra like that goes a long way.