1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

residential billing question

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by lownrangr, Jan 11, 2008.

1. ok, i tired doing a search for this, but came up empty handed. I have a question for you guys...I'm working on invoices and i'm trying to figure out what I should do about charging one of my residentials. Here's the deal: i go to do the driveway and sidewalks, but one of the 'friendly' neighbors decided to be mr niceguy and clear the sidewalk for the next 5 houses. Now what would you do, charge the people the regular price even if I didn't do the sidewalk, or reduce the price? thanks for any advice

2. MightySal

MightySal Junior Member

To be nice I would reduce the price by a few dollars. This will keep the customer happy, and show you don't charge for thing that you didn't do. But that is just me. :angel:

3. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

If you did the rest of the driveway charge them full price.

4. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I'd charge the neighbor! lol jk. The same thing happens to me sometimes. One of my customers neighbors will do their whole driveway and sidewalks. I sometimes charge them. It depends on what the circumstances are.

5. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I would probably reduce the charge by whatever you charge for shoveling walks. For me, it's generally about $5 per visit for anything I have to get out of the truck for.

6. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

i guess for me it depends what mood i was in. and if i got guys riding with me and they dont have to get out and shovel and i have to put up with them i charge

7. MOWBIZZ

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

Well, it saved you the trouble of shoveling, so make a note on the bill and ask them if they want you to continue doing the walks...tell them that you'll discount a few bucks but also let them know you and they have an agreement to do walks. You shouldn't have to be guessing when you arrive on what you need to do...what if you hired a helper for the walks and then there's nothing for him to do when you got there??

8. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

I may reduce the bill this time but note on your invoice that you have agreed to do their sidewalks and either you will continue to bill for them or notbe responsible for them. Just as mentioned before you dont want to have to guess and only know what to do once you ve arrived. I have a few customers around me that sometimes their neighbour actually shovells their driveway entirely. Now my customers are billed annually for the season but they know that even though i didnt plow it there neighbour did I dont give a refund.

9. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

I agree. Give them the chance to decide what they want from this point on, but they need to make the decision now. You can't run a business not knowing what if any work is waiting for you when you get there. If you bought equipment or hired employees I'm sure you based those decisions on what revenue your customers are generating for you.

10. jrush

jrush Member
    from ct

I have a clause in my contracts stating that if I show up, you get charged. I don;t care if the nice neighbor did the entire driveway for you. Ya, it was just the walks, but, you showed up knowing what this job would pay and now don't know what to charge. In your agreement does it say the driveway is $X and the walkways are $X? Send them the bill, if they b*tch tell them you'll discount this time, if not be thankful you did'nt get out of the truck.

11. wow, thanks for all the replies. I'll probably drop the price 5 bucks to be nice, but yea i'll let them know why i did. thanks again! It did save me time so I could catch the michigan/flordia game!