1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Residential Accounts

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by hawks13, Dec 20, 2005.

1. hawks13

hawks13 Junior Member
    from Chicago

We are new to the industry and have only been around a couple of years. We would like to get a couple more residential accounts. Who are the primary people who ususally use our services, (Demographics I think). Just woundering if most people have older couples as clients or is it diveroced mothers or what?
    Thanks,

2. Remsen1

Remsen1 Senior Member

50% senior citizens
    45% households without a man or without children who could do it.
    5% Able but just don't feel like doing it.

I do only tiny driveways. I imagine if I had some larger driveways, the first two numbers would decrease while the third number would grow.

3. NEAL

NEAL Member

This will naturally vary from area to area but I tried like crazy to get smaller driveways around here with no luck. Finally realized that the people are willing to snowblow their own small driveways. The long drives are what I have to focus on. Not sure if it is like this by you but something to consider.

4. nekos

nekos Senior Member

this is nothing more then an educated guess ...
    in my area the over worked yuppie's with no time and a BMW are #1 by far.
    the extremely rich would be 2nd only because there are fewer of them.
    single mom's would most likely be 3rd
    elderly... for the most part can't afford to live in my area unless they have been here for 30 + years.
    every one else shovels / or has a snow blower.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2005
  5. plowman350

plowman350 Senior Member

right on

I have to agree with the last post...90% of my customers are between 30-55yrs old. They make a good living, and spend their entire lives working trying to pay off their over-extended lifestyle. Most of them also have this attitude of: I live in this big neighborhood, drive an expensive car, someone else should be doing my snow.

We do have the few elderly and few single moms. Most though, are in the prime years of their careers.

If you're going to advertise next year, my suggestion is to pick out a few neighborhoods in the above average price range, and start knocking on doors. See what kind of people answer the door, and what kind of response you get. Do this with a couple neighborhoods and if you get a better response in one, start blanketing them with advertisements.

6. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

I dont really advertise in old folks homes, BUT,

90% of my customers for snow removal are probably people who could do it and have kids but dont want the hastle, most i do if it snows over 5" since past that they dont want to have anything to do with it, usually people with money

The rest of the people are older maybe 50+ in age and dont want to deal with it. Like you said though, i think i have very FEW people that have older kids that have me clean out their driveways, most are larger though, 2 cars wide, 30+' long and i do the sidewalks and steps etc.

7. nekos

nekos Senior Member

how i know this ... i have no clue :)
    the towns around the area you mainly work in , go to their website. most if not all will have links to general demographics for their town. age , race <sometimes> and genral income !!!
    im still little fish i guess you could say , but next year i really plan on using this to my advantage to target specific town's and area's.
    then again i have lived in the same area for 28 years. i have a good idea where the money is anyway :)

8. americansnow

americansnow Junior Member

Hey hawks how much snow do you get there in Florida? lol

9. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I was thinking the same thing americansnow i have been to Florida and never seen it snow lol.