1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Residental Wind Blown Snow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TurfSolutionsMN, Jan 1, 2008.

1. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

I am new to the residential driveway snow removal business. This winter I picked up 30 residential accounts, I am used to commercial sidewalk removal. So if there was any wind blown snow at all I would go remove it, but do you do the same for residential? I personally like driveways totally clear of snow, so I think I should go clean them again. But I'm pretty sure some will complain that i'm just adding up the bill. Do you think I should call them all first? Any help would be great!!
  2. Krimick77

Krimick77 Member

For me, it really depends on how bad it is. If the drifts are deep than yes I will plow them. But if there is one or two spots in the drive with a narrow band of a few inches than I usually leave it.

Mostly depends on what I think each customer wants. I have some that I only plow after 4 inches and others that want plowed at 1"
  3. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

When you are getting paid to clear the sidewalks, why would you leave a narrow band of a few inches? Wouldn't you be liable if someone gets injured on the ice that you left? And wouldn't the person who pays you be pissed that there is a few inches left on the sidewalk?

No offence, but I would figure that you need to keep it totally clean...that's what we do.
  4. Up North

Up North Senior Member

I do the initial plowing and after that if they get drifted and want to be plowed again they need to call me. No hassles that way, and no longer people can say..."oh, I didn't know you were going to charge me again", even after discussing it at the beginning of the season.

Sidewalks would be a different story, they need to be cleared according to the city in most cases, which I assume you know already.

5. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Same with me. I'll have the driveway clean and the windrows pushed back when I leave. If it's bad, they call me. I don't go checking up on them. If I've already taken the plow off, they really have to twist my arm (or pay me more) to go get the drifts.
  6. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

Thanks everyone for your help!! I will send out a letter in regards to have them call me back when they want it done again. But the bad part is I like all of my clients drives totally clean and it just bugs me when they dont want me to come back.
  7. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

It will also make it harder to remove the snow next time you get an actual snowfall. Lately I have only cleaned them up if they are pretty bad.
  8. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

It all depends on what the customer wants. Its their driveway, so just call them and speak with them about it. I would generally do this on a per call basis. If they need it they'll call.
  9. Krimick77

Krimick77 Member

NJ PLowman,

Where did I mention sidewalks? The posters original question was about resi drives, which is what my answer was about.